developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Ad for Columbia Comics in Short Stories pulp magazine  (Read 1258 times)

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
Ad for Columbia Comics in Short Stories pulp magazine
« on: March 23, 2017, 09:20:35 PM »

From the February 1943 issue of Short Stories. I am not sure if the publishers were related, or the ad was paid.

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/forum/webkit-fake-url://47f0b287-b0a5-492f-a4f3-a6a8d396d780/image.tiff

Digital Comic Museum

Ad for Columbia Comics in Short Stories pulp magazine
« on: March 23, 2017, 09:20:35 PM »

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
Re: Ad for Columbia Comics in Short Stories pulp magazine
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 03:58:29 PM »
Well, that didn't work… With some appreciated help from Yoc, let's try again.

Offline Rocket Riley

• Repeating Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 09:59:21 AM »
I suspect this is just a paid ad.  Columbia Publications, which put out Big Shot, was owned by some big mainstream magazine.  I can't remember which offhand, but I've never heard of Short Stories Inc. publishing comics.   On a related note, I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that the Target, Blue Bolt group were owned by the company that published the Saturday Evening Post.  One last note as I veer totally off the subject, does anyone know why Prize Comics were advertised in various DC comic publications?

Offline mopee167

• DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 11:07:53 AM »
Yes, Novelty Press was owned by the Curtis Publishing Company of Philadelphia, who also put out the Saturday Evening Post and Ladies Home Journal. Vince Sullivan, late of DC Comics, joined with the McNaught Syndicate to formed a company called Columbia Comic Corporation and started Big Shot Comics.

Michael Bleier & Teddy Epstein owned Crestwood Publications (Prize Comics). Theodore Epstein was a business associate of Moe L. Annenberg (of Hearst Publications), Paul Sampliner (of Independent News Company), Irving Manheimer (of Publishers Distributing Company) and Harry Donenfeld (of DC Comics). DC Comics also ran (paid?) ads for B&I/ACG.

Their relationships are complicated.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 02:29:04 PM by Yoc »