- +

Author Topic: It's our EIGHTH ANNIVERSARY today!  (Read 5166 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
It's our EIGHTH ANNIVERSARY today!
« on: March 28, 2018, 12:04:07 PM »
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/images/DCM banner54a-Eighth-Anniversary-animated.gif

Hurray!!!    ^-^ ;D
It's DCM's Eighth​ ​Anniversary and we've had another banner year (pun) with a ton of new books and members!

​This past last year we gained 4053 new members and sit with 72286 total.
We also added 689 new scans during the year and have 21562 total scans.

​Here are some highlights from last year

---
Just before our 7th anniversary, the JVJ Project officially ended.   :'(
Several stragglers still arrived on DCM months later including a few more from me during the coming month.

A final HUGE THANK-YOU to Jim Vadeboncoeur Jr. and all the JVJ Project members for their huge effort preserving over 4400+ of Jim's books!   :o   We here hope Jim's future days are blessed as much as we were for knowing him.

---
​About the same time the Project ended DCM and JVJ Project Member Tilliban landed a new job at a German language comics fanzine called COMIXENE.  He's doing some great work for them and has had to slow down on his scanning work but he still managed to share a few more JVJ Hillman books this past year.  T has been a very big part of why DCM is such a cool place concentrating his efforts on the Pre-Code Horror genre but he was still willing to help out with some of the final JVJ Project books.  We wish T well and hope you will give his very professional looking German fanzine a look.​

---
​In July 2017 we debuted the super rare Wow, What a Magazine #2 from Phil Barnhart and RH with Yoc edits.  This 1936 book was done by future Eisner & Iger artists that would go on to very big things in the comics world.​  It's our sincere hope that the other three issues for the series eventually are scanned and shared here on DCM.  A special thank-you to Phil B. for letting us scan his copy of #2!

​---
Starting in May 2017 CaptDJ and myself starting adding GCD index numbers to all of the books on the site.  It took months to do but once done we were able to start showing Grand Comic Database data listings of each each issue when you go to the download page for a book.  The GCD site has been running for years working on indexing every comic ever made and we thank them for making their data available for use on DCM!  GCD data went live on DCM Sept 19th, 2017.​

Now that this data is added we can start making some upgrades to the site!  The first one was making the DCM Collection sortable by Genre!  Find a listing for any book on DCM and check the GCD data.  The genre of that book will have a hyper link which is clickable.  Selecting it will show all the books on DCM with that genre.  We will be working on adding the same feature for artists and characters on the site down the road.  Exciting times!

---
In September 2017, an earlier upgrade improved the Search feature (use the search box above the DCM banner) making search results now sortable by date or alphabetical or by uploader.  Thanks to DCM member freddyfly for pushing us to add this.

Also in September CaptDJ did some behind the scenes tweaks which​ are mostly for the staff but now we can Update a book on the site and have it appear at the top of the Latest Uploads page.  He's also made it possible to update the Previews - thumbnails when a book has been edited.  A bug had those stay the same even as new pages were added.

In mid-December 2017 Capt​DJ​ added a new script that would ​automatically check if an uploaded comic scan file was corrupt as well as automatically rename rar or zip files on the site to cbr/cbz files when ​members ​download​ them​ from DCM.  A nice tweak for those unable to rename their files for viewing.  He also adjusted the script to flag a file for staff when an uploader might have a misname file format to head-off trouble at the pass before a file gets shared with everyone else on the site.  Our thanks to DCM members garbanzo and sevengates who got the ball rolling on this in the​ ​Feedback and Suggestions​ section of the forum.​

---
​In November ​2017 Kracalactaka made a visit to the Library of Congress in Washington and scanned a very nice batch of books which started going live on both sites shortly after.  Our thanks to Krac and his editors for making these book available to everyone.

---
Meanwhile DCM members Movielover and A Nonny Moose have continued to keep their Amazing WANTED COMICS LIST up to date for everyone here.  So anyone out there with a collection of Golden Age Comics, please give the list a look.  You might have something we are missing or could use an upgrade on the site.  If you do please consider scanning or letting a trusted staffer scan your books for you.  You can use the CONTACT US link if you want to contact us about the idea or if you have a question.  We would love to work with you on something for the site!

---
New scanners this past year: ​GeneReed2014, Kewi, ​Paris-Fred​, ​Sholmes​, Tropicalfan, Raze​, Witchy Poo​

---
New comic book donors - Pat Hilger, Richard Kahl, Gino Paulus, Bill Potter, Tropicalfan and Paul Webb.

---
​New archives this year came in from BYRON5348 and Krac​

---
And we must again as always stress how truly blessed we have been for our generous Financial Donors that deserve all our gratitude.  DCM wouldn't be here if it weren't for the financial donations out there that help pay our server bill each month.

To all our Scanners and Editors: thank-you all for everything you do to make DCM the wonderful site it has become.

---
A final thank-you to Tropicalfan, Sholmes, Rangerhouse, A Nonny Moose, Movielover, Geo and OtherEric for sharing their latest scans today to mark our 8th Anniversary!

Here's a list of what is new for today:
Blackhawk 021 [Quality1948][paper]-c2c -Triopicalfan+Yoc.cbz
Captain Midnight 034 [Fawcett1945]-c2c -Tropicalfan+Yoc.cbz
Feature Comics 092 [Quality1945]-c2c -Tropicalfan+Yoc.cbz
My Love Affair  002 [Fox1949]-c2c -Tropicalfan+Yoc.cbz
Peter Wheat News 041 (high quality) -OtherEric+Yoc.cbz
Planet Comics 053 [FH1948]-c2c -Sholmes+a nonny moose.cbz
Warfront 035 [Harvey1958]-c2c  -Geo+Yoc.cbz
Wow Comics 004 [paper+6fiche) -rangerhouse+movielover Novus.cbz

Here's to another great year!
-Yoc

Digital Comic Museum

It's our EIGHTH ANNIVERSARY today!
« on: March 28, 2018, 12:04:07 PM »

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: It's our EIGHTH ANNIVERSARY today!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 06:32:41 PM »
So this is why I haven't seen new uploads for some time!  I needed a pick-me-up and this will help.  God bless, guys.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 07:08:24 PM »
It's partly to blame.  But there will be more in the near future.
I will be sharing some more FH scans starting this Friday and a little bird tells me some Quality might show up soon as well.

-Yoc

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 10:25:07 PM »
Yay us!  ;D

Offline freddyfly

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 10:36:25 PM »
And 8 new ACG funnies added for the 8th!
Congratulations to all the behind-the scenes people who keep the site running smoothly, and constantly improving.!
-Len W.

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 09:55:52 AM »
Wah-Hooo!

Should have realized the recent lull was simply a prelude to the anniversary storm.

Thanks to all involved!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 10:38:10 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys!
And A Nonny Moose finished off all the missing Quality Wedding Bells issues today as well.
:)

Offline ramblindawg

• Repeat donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 01:35:44 PM »
Wow, another feast of my favorite funny-animal comics -- especially love those Dan Gordon Superkatt stories in Giggle Comics!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 01:49:46 PM »
Yep!
Freddy kept these under his hat until today so it was a pleasant surprise for everyone when they went up.
 :)

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 09:25:50 PM »
Thanks again to all those who donated money to the site, all the scanners and editors who took the time to scan those books. All the folks that let us scan said books. It's been one wild ride these eight years, I would hope it goes many times that, so that many more folks will be able to enjoy theses jewels from the past, I know I sure do.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 09:45:01 AM by Yoc »
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 09:45:43 AM »
New today for the anniversary celebration -
Jungle Comics 020 [FH1941][damaged] -JVJ-RH+Yoc.cbz

Enjoy!
-Yoc

Offline Snard

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 04:27:54 AM »
Why does this book say "[damaged]"? I don't see any missing panels or pages. If there was damage, much of it appears to be fixed in the editing, or only affects page borders. I would only call a scan "damaged" if the story content or artwork were affected in some way. (A significant number of the books I edit are damaged in one way or another, but I am almost always able to fix things so you wouldn't notice.)

Thanks for sharing this.

Offline Snard

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 04:42:23 AM »
And 8 new ACG funnies added for the 8th!
Congratulations to all the behind-the scenes people who keep the site running smoothly, and constantly improving.!
Hello Len,

Thanks for sharing these scans. All were indicated as being complete, but it looks like you forgot to include the back cover for Giggle #18. If you still have that book, I hope you can add that page for us, so it will be truly complete.

Thanks again for all that you share.