developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: The JVJ Project is almost done. Thanks to everyone who helped make it successful  (Read 8806 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/images/DCM banner41-JVJ-Postage-Fund-Thank-You.gif

Hi Gang,
We've reached our goal for donations so thank-you all So Much and PLEASE, no more contributions to the JVJ Postage Fund.

Thank-you all again for your support!
-Yoc

Members will likely know just how important the JVJ Project has been to us and any comic readers out there.  Lately three out of four new books on the site have been from the JVJ Collection!

Since it first started on Sept. 18, 2008 way back in the GAC days when Jim Vadeboncoeur Jr. (JVJ) first offered us access to his wonderful collection we've managed to scan and share just about 4000 scans!  When this last batch of 600 are done we will officially pass the 4000 mark!

You can get an idea of how big his collection was in this picture (left) of just one section as well as a picture of the 300 books that Rangerhouse recently received -

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/images/forum message pictures/Postage Fund-JVJvault2014.jpg
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/images/forum message pictures/Postage Fund-JVJboxesSm.jpg
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/images/forum message pictures/Postage Fund-JVJ-someofjimsbks.jpg
Jim is also a publisher using his amazing collection and huge body of knowledge to produce a book on Everett Raymond Kinstler and series of magazines devoted to classic illustration.  To read more about Jim and his works check out his very nicely done site here.

It was incredibly trusting of JVJ to allow a group of complete strangers to scan his comics and all he's ever asked is we cover his postage costs shipping them to the scanners.  And when we've called, you out there have stepped up to the plate.

Perhaps you could argue THE most important people to help with the project would be all those out there that donated their money to keep the Postage Fund in the black each time we've asked.  Bless you guys, it really goes to show you what a huge group effort the JVJ Project really was doesn't it?!   :)

Sadly Jim will have to end the project with the last batch of 600 books sent out to our two main scanners - Rangerhouse and Soothsayr.  We've already been seeing several of them going up on the site the last month with David Miles joining the ranks as an editor.

The JVJ Project has had a LOT of people helping with the scanning and editing of Jim's amazing collection.  I've tried to compile a list of everyone that has ever working on any of JVJ's books since we first started back in late 2008.  If you are interested you can still see his first message to us over on CB+ at this link.

The JVJ PROJECT - SCANNERS AND EDITORS

Here's the list of Project members starting with our two most committed and prolific scanners - Rangerhouse and Soothsayr.

And in alphabetical order -
a nonny moose, AgentUup, ancientonezero, Blastaar, BuilderBoy, CBpop, Citaltras, Comicwander, cooperway4, darkmark, Darwination, Dell4c, Fan777, Geo, Dave Hayward, Henry Peters, jimpy, JonTheScanner, KingFaraday, Kracalactaka, loftypilot, David Miles, movielover, narfstar, Ontology, OtherEric, paxman53, Prime user, Rez, srca1941, SteveD, tilliban, Titansfan, Twobyfour, Yoc

To see a complete list of all the JVJ Books on the site do a search for the term - JVJ!   ;)

We got a very nice thank-you from JVJ himself in an email here -
Happy New Year to all and What a GREAT PROJECT this has been. We've accomplished SO MUCH (well, you guys did all the hard work). This actually made the IDEA of selling my comics somewhat palatable because I still have access to SO MANY of them thanks to you folks. Yeah team!

Especially thanks to Yoc for his silent (mostly) co-ordination efforts and keeping us all informed.
I'm glad rangerhouse and soothsayr stepped up at the end and made their heroic efforts. Feels good to go out knowing we've wrapped it up (pretty much) as planned.

Best in 2017.
JVJ (|:{>

It's been an immense pleasure for me to play a small part in this Project and while I hate to see it end it's a great comfort to see them living on here and on the net for posterity.  And that's what the site is really all about.

Thank-you Jim.  You sir are a real gentleman.

-Yoc

Digital Comic Museum

Offline Poztron

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: The JVJ Project is almost done and we need your help one last time...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 11:22:55 AM »
Happy New Year! As soon as I saw this announcement I sent my donation off.

My thanks to JVJ for his immense generosity in sharing his collection with DCM all these years. I guess I knew it had to come to an end eventually. At the point most new scans were funny animal or romance comics, I figured the end was near.  :'(

I do hope that others with rare books can step forward and help fill in the remaining gaps in the DCM archives. I've scanned a few from my own modest "accumulation" that weren't previously in the archives, but most of what I have are either not public domain or are already scanned.

A big bravo to all our scanners. You guys rock!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 09:27:20 AM »
Thanks very much for your donation Poz and for your kind words.
I've heard donations have started to come in which is just great news!
:)

Offline Eddie73

• DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 05:54:36 PM »
Hi,

Happy to make my donation.

It seems the reasons behind the cessation are being kept mum. I can respect that.

Can I ask though what % of the entire JVJ collection we were able to get scanned?

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 09:54:46 AM »
Hi Eddie,
Thanks for your donation!  Sadly JVJ has to sell off his collection for personal reasons.
But the good news is we were able to scan almost all of his books that are in the public domain, we just had to do it faster than normal.  The last 600 books are being scanned right now and showing up on the site a little each day.  A nice flood or romance titles are being planned for a Valentine's Day.
I couldn't give you a percentage number on it all, someone more in the know would have to come up with that.  But I do know we didn't miss out on too many PD books in the end.

Take care,
-Yoc

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 10:44:58 AM »
How much do we need to raise to get back into the black????
B.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 07:25:32 PM »
There are some variables B.

Rangerhouse is handling the donation money for JVJ.  There's another person who has some of JVJ's books we'd like to scan and has said he'd ship them to us before JVJ has to have them back for his buyer.  But I haven't heard how many or how much that will run us and JVJ does have a deadline coming up fairly soon.  We said we would cover his postage costs as well.

I'll be switching the banner off as soon as I know we are all clear.
-Yoc

Offline moonstar7

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 04:40:51 PM »
Quick question about Paypal:  does the donation go under "Pay for goods or services," "Send money to friends and family," or "Send a gift"?  Just wanted to ask in order to avoid any unnecessary fees.  Thanks for replying!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 07:59:48 AM »
Hi Moon,
I've been told it's up to you but if everyone were to use Gift our admin thinks PayPal might throw a snit.

If anyone here has already made a donation which option did you choose?
-Yoc

Drusilla lives!

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 09:19:35 AM »
I'd just like to thank you Jim for sharing the public domain comics that you've had in your collection over the past few years, and furthermore, for having the courage to do so... and thanks again to all the folks out there, here and on CB+ that put the time in to scan them.  :)

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 09:45:30 AM »
Like the others who have posted here, my hearty thanks to JVJ for sharing his wonderful collection.

I just made another donation, via the Friends & Family option.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 02:46:53 PM »
Thanks for all your support guys!
:)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 08:59:51 PM »
Hi Gang,
We've reached our goal for donations so thank-you all So Much and PLEASE, no more contributions to the JVJ Postage Fund.

Thank-you all again for your support!
-Yoc

Offline Netasha

• Super Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 01:12:48 AM »
Can I just add my THANK YOU JVJ and all the scanners, mailers, down loaders and admin for the hard work and effort gone into making DCM the best site for FREE PD comics any where on the web!  I have always wanted to have been a mouse in JVJ's house getting eye strain reading all those boxes of other mags and comics after 1959 and not PD. To me it would have been like a kid going to JVJ ComicLand instead of Disneyland only better. I cant wait for (typical girl) the Valentine flood of Romance. I will continue my monthly donation as I know that you still need server costs to keep this site up and running online and am happy to do so for all the joy that I get daily.
Cheers, Happy 2017 Everyone.
Net. :)
Today is Yesterdays Tomorrow. Grab on to Now!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 08:18:51 AM »
Thank-you for you very kind words Net.
Oh yeah, I can just picture you sneaking around as a mouse with JVJ's books.   ^-^

A huge thank-you for your recurring donations!  We're having an especially good month this January.  Thanks gang!
:D

-Yoc