developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Favorite Anthologies?  (Read 1953 times)

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Favorite Anthologies?
« on: November 29, 2016, 09:32:38 AM »
Sometimes a good anthology is stronger than its individual parts. For instance, I wouldn't consider The Boy King, or Nightmare and Sleepy, or Zippo to be even close to the top tier of Golden Age heroes, but put them all together and I think Clue Comics is one of the strongest all-around comics of its era. To me, there isn't a weak feature in the bunch. Meanwhile, I consider more popular books, like Action Comics, to be just the opposite. In Action Comics, Superman outshines everything else to the point that it's kind of downhill after reading his story. Yeah, Vigilante is good and a worthy back-up, but the rest when compared to Superman? The book is top-heavy with its star. The back-ups got stronger by the mid-late 40s and 50s, but the weak earlier material colors my opinion of the series in the Golden Age and a little beyond.

So what are your favorite Golden Age anthologies or runs in anthologies where the entirety of the book is greater than any one feature? I'll post more of mine a little later.

-Eric

Digital Comic Museum

Favorite Anthologies?
« on: November 29, 2016, 09:32:38 AM »

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Favorite Anthologies?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 06:03:32 PM »
Being a "Centaur Comics" fan, any of their titles are fun to look at, but, in my opinion, Fox's "Fantastic Comics" was consistently a solid title.  It didn't have anything that would stand-out on its own, but it had a good variety of artists & features.

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 08:25:01 PM »
Probably WHIZ COMICS or AMERICA'S GREATEST.

Offline crashryan

• DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 09:47:28 PM »
I second the vote for the Centaur comics. They aren't necessarily the best written or drawn, but they're full of enthusiasm and raw energy (not to mention occasionally odd imagination) and are just plain fun.

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 08:22:23 AM »
Novelty's Target Comics is a favorite of mine, until World War Two ended. Then, like a lot of titles, it had some good stories, but nothing really great.

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 09:58:07 PM »
CLUE COMICS and AIRBOY COMICS were also tops.

Offline gothos

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 03:09:25 PM »
AIR FIGHTERS/ AIRBOY for me as well.