- +

Author Topic: Random Comics Questions  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Crimson-Blue-Green

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Sensational Idols
Random Comics Questions
« on: October 12, 2016, 12:36:20 PM »
01. Are there any fans who like to recolor comics willing to tackle "Tegra, Jungle Empress"?  I have always wanted to see what this comic looked like properly colored. 

02. Anyone know why Fox started most of their comics on the inside front cover instead of "page 1"? 

03. Can anyone make a non-3D version of "3D Sheena"?   

04. I have made fan edits of two "Sheena" comics, #13 and #16, and "The Blue Beetle" #1 by adding and removing certain pages.  I edited them so the title character has more pages and there is less filler and ads.  I spent some time learning to put them into a cbr file.  Am I allowed to upload these?  I have never uploaded anything before and I'm a bit nervous about doing it.  Also, I want to upload all the Sheena b&w pages from "Jumbo Comics" #1 to 8, as seen on my blog.  http://not-another-comics-blog.blogspot.com/2016/08/sheena-queen-of-jungle-in-black-and.html  The problem is I don't have a cover and I'm not sure what to use.  The first page is over 1 mb.   

Thanks for any help with these.  :)  -  James

My Japanese idol music website: http://sensational-idols.weebly.com/

Digital Comic Museum

Random Comics Questions
« on: October 12, 2016, 12:36:20 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Random Comics Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 01:52:34 PM »
Hi James,
Let's see.  Nope, never heard why Fox went rogue and put the first story page on the ifc.  Annoying ain't it?
The best place for your user made books is over on CB+, they have a section especially made for it here:
Member Modified Magazines - http://comicbookplus.com/?cid=1864

A collection of Sheena from Jumbo 1-8 could go up here in the Archives and Collections section.  A cover image would be nice but it's not a must.  a 1mb page will work on the site.  If you go over 2mb you are more likely to have a problem.  If you read the txt intro in our files of Jumbo 1 to 8 you can read a special intro by DCM member Edward 'Josh' Petrie that explains more of the history behind those early FH books.

And if you want your screen name here to match CB+ enter your Profile here in the forum (or there) and under ACCOUNT SETTINGS you will see Username and Name.  Change the NAME entry to whatever you like.  You will still have to log in to the site with the old name but any posts on the forums will appear with the new name.

Good luck with the postings, and please always remember to give the original scanners and editors credit for their work in your new file descriptions when uploading anything.
-Yoc

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Sensational Idols
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 03:16:55 PM »
Thanks for your answers Yoc.  I forgot my CB+ password (again) so I won't be uploading there anytime soon.  I didn't realize that the library closes early today.  I may have to wait to upload something here too.  I did finally read the article on early Fiction House comics.  It's very interesting!   I have much to learn, but I'm an eager leaner!   Let me give this uploading thing a shot.  I created something to use as a title page.  May be back soon, maybe not.  Later.  :)

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 03:35:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure this is just speculation, not verified fact, but the best guess I've heard for Fox moving their splash to the IFC was to keep people from selling stripped books.  Ironically, Fox then sold tons of them rebound in their giants.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 08:44:34 PM »
Thanks James.
Your Sheena in B&W is up but sorry, we do not feel comfortable hosting original art only scans especially when harvested from another site.

You can always reach out to CB+ for your PW via the CONTACT link here - http://comicbookplus.com/contact/

-Yoc

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Sensational Idols
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 12:24:04 PM »
I'm pretty sure this is just speculation, not verified fact, but the best guess I've heard for Fox moving their splash to the IFC was to keep people from selling stripped books.  Ironically, Fox then sold tons of them rebound in their giants.

Thanks for the response OtherEric!  I guess this backfired on Fox, eh? 

Yoc, I am back!  Thank you for uploading the "Sheena In B&W" zip.  It's okay about the original art not being allowed.  I was taking a chance and I still haven't learned all of the rules here.  I won't upload something like this again. 

I had a new computer in late August, but it didn't work for me.  During that time I created my blog.  I need to check my emails to allow comments.  If anyone has posted a comment I haven't seen it.  I honestly hate email.  I returned the computer within 14 days and now I'm stuck using the library's for things like uploading and downloading.  The good news is i just changed my CB+ user name and uploaded the "Sheena In B&W" zip there as well.  So now I have the same name on both sites.  So...I need to think about a new computer, a new phone (I keep breaking them due to my short temper) and what to do, if anything, about getting the internet in my home.  I really want to continue using this website and be an active member.  I even contributed (months ago, with my old phone) a whopping $5.  It doesn't show up on my profile, though.  Thanks for all of your help and advice.  I'm determined to learn more about Golden Age comics! 

5. What comic had the very first letters page? 

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 08:05:33 AM »
Good luck with all your tech quests there CBG.

Sorry, I couldn't tell you who did the first letters page.
-Yoc

Offline Poztron

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 09:32:42 PM »
Like OtherEric, my impression was that starting the stories on the inside cover was probably an attempt to prevent the re-selling of unsold copies that had had the masthead stripped off by distributors to claim credit from the publisher. I can recall plastic-bagged 'value packs' of Charlton comics in the 50s and 60s that were missing the top third of their covers. I assume that was done by shady distributors, but Charlton was pretty shady itself, so who knows who was really behind it and squeezing out the final nickels and dimes from the books.

Offline steveinthecity

• DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 02:50:50 PM »

5. What comic had the very first letters page? 

I had heard Superman #124 had the first LOC, but surely there was one before that.  My oldest comics are all Archie or Little Lulu type stuff and they never had LOC's.  Good question.

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 07:50:11 AM »
Can't say if they are the first, but Novelty's Blue Bolt & Target Comics ran letter pages pretty early on. They sent you a dollar if they used yours.

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Sensational Idols
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 11:07:34 PM »
Thanks for all of the responses.   :)