- +

Author Topic: Amazon's POD books - and - What are your favorite Nedor stories?  (Read 1763 times)

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Amazon's POD books - and - What are your favorite Nedor stories?
« on: September 23, 2016, 06:17:03 PM »
Scans are great, but to me nothing will ever replace the feeling of a physical book. For a long time, I've thought about making my own reprints with something like Amazon's print on demand service, Createspace. I'm not talking about something that I'd sell commercially (although I have thought about, planned, and done some work along those lines at different times), rather I'm thinking of just some one copy only books for myself so that I can have paper copies of some of my favorite PD Golden Age books to read whenever I want. Things that nobody else is selling commercially, like Nedor/Better/Standard material to start with. Amazon seems to have a pretty decent price for something like that. I could print myself a 500 page paperback book for $35.85. That's completely in line with the MSRP and page count of Marvel's Epic line. Selling it commercially would be much higher, $60 before it would even turn a minuscule profit on Amazon, and it would lose money in their expanded distribution. That just seems a little high for a paperback, and profits would be too slim to deal with the hassles of setting up a small business, so I'm just looking at this as a personal project right now. Additionally, with such a large page count, properly restoring each page, which I'd want to do for a commercial endeavor, would take forever. I plan to do just a few simple Photoshop actions to make the pages look nice enough to read (i.e. make colors pop and remove most yellowing), put it in Adobe InDesign, make a table of contents, a cover, and send it off to print. Nothing too fancy. Ideally, I could do one every few months or so. Just whenever I felt the need/desire. Fox, Ace, and Quality volumes are also high on my list if all goes well with this initial book.

Does anyone have experience with Amazon's POD service? Is the quality good enough that this would be a worthwhile effort? I know that there are POD GA reprints for sale there, but as I said, the markup is just too high for me to want to try them. Plus, from what I've seen, absolutely no restoration work at all has gone into them. I'd rather save my money for my own books that will meet my own standards.

All that said, my next step is to pick out stories to put into my Nedor book. Superheroes (including Supermouse) are priority, but I'm open to just about anything from the company. Black Terror and Pyroman are my favorites, and I imagine I'll have plenty of them. I have a few stories in mind, but I don't want a book with all material that I've read, nor do I want to just pick things at random, so I'm asking for opinions. What, if any, Nedor stories have stuck out in your mind as particularly good or unusual, either from a story standpoint, or artistically? Depending on their length, I can probably get 40 or so stories in a 500 page book, so the more suggestions, the better. I'm wanting to stay away from anything fiche just because it doesn't look too good to start with, but if there is a really good story with a fiche fill page or two, that would be OK.

-Eric

Digital Comic Museum

Amazon's POD books - and - What are your favorite Nedor stories?
« on: September 23, 2016, 06:17:03 PM »

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
Re: Amazon's POD books - and - What are your favorite Nedor stories?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 12:01:22 PM »
Hi Eric,

I'll start off with a question. Are you planning to use color on the interior pages? If so, there's a whole other set of processing to get the B&W reproduction looking good.

After Amazon bought CreateSpace they began to require that POD authors & publishers use that service in order to get listed on Amazon.com. Before that a huge percentage of independents used Lulu.com.

Lulu you could use just as a printing service to provide copies that you market yourself. The only way to do that at CreateSpace is/was to omit the last step in the publication process. That means that all the copies you might order are marked on the last page, in large letters with the word: PROOF.

Under my Modern Knights Press imprint I have self-published two prose books. The size is 6 by 9 inches. Both feature my second generation pulp mystery man The Voice. I also have eight books I've contributed to published by Airship-27 and three by Pro Se Productions. They are all prose titles.

My advice, as far as content for your proposed Nador collections, is simple. Anthologies, or samplers, of the line's different characters. I picked up a few issues way back when. I generally like what I saw. However, reading any number of issues here on DCM, I've found the stories to be more repetitive than I like. (I mean, did the Fighting Yank ever complete a case without being rescued by his ancestor?) Perhaps you could pick a year and month, then put all the super hero titles from that month into an anthology. Just a suggestion from my personal POV.   :)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 12:42:37 PM »
Hi Eric,
Wow, good luck with your POD project - I hope you will eventually show us a preview of the cover and what you decide to use for contents.
Of course you will be using the wonderful Meskin / Robinson Black Terror stories.  And I'd include the silly Black Terrier story from Real Funnies 01.  Maybe a Jetta story and something besides Supermouse from Coo-Coo.  Pin-Up Pete was an oddball one for them.

Have fun!
-Yoc

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 03:28:00 PM »
Yes, the whole thing is in color. I've done conversion to B&W line art before, it can be a bear depending on the quality of the source material and the original printing. I did most of a whole book of Black Terror 10 or 11 years ago before the project fizzled out. I had good results as you can see below, but I wouldn't even think of doing a 500 page book like that just for myself.

From Black Terror #16:

http://s26.postimg.org/7rsyvddh5/BlackTerror16_BlackTerror105.jpg
From Black Terror #25:

http://s26.postimg.org/j6u1dqf7d/Black_Terror25_Black_Terror108.jpghttp://s26.postimg.org/j6u1dqf7d/Black_Terror25_Black_Terror108.jpg
From America's Best Comics #6:

http://s26.postimg.org/k1bzm0xo9/Americas_Best06_Black_Terror07.jpg
-Eric

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 03:35:21 PM »
Here are the kinds of images I'm using for my color reprints:

The same Black Terror #16 page:

http://s26.postimg.org/8mk3v5apl/02_BlackTerror05.jpg
From America's Best Comics #2:

http://s26.postimg.org/6th76tpix/01_ABC02_BT07.jpg
From Startling Comics #27:

http://s26.postimg.org/qdvq9lq49/02_SC27_FY10.jpg
-Eric

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 04:50:11 PM »
Lulu you could use just as a printing service to provide copies that you market yourself. The only way to do that at CreateSpace is/was to omit the last step in the publication process. That means that all the copies you might order are marked on the last page, in large letters with the word: PROOF.

Good to know. That means I need to be sure to leave the last page blank. Otherwise, that doesn't really bother me. These are just for reading a physical copy after all.

My advice, as far as content for your proposed Nador collections, is simple. Anthologies, or samplers, of the line's different characters. I picked up a few issues way back when. I generally like what I saw. However, reading any number of issues here on DCM, I've found the stories to be more repetitive than I like. (I mean, did the Fighting Yank ever complete a case without being rescued by his ancestor?) Perhaps you could pick a year and month, then put all the super hero titles from that month into an anthology. Just a suggestion from my personal POV.   :)

I'm planning company or genre themed anthologies for my books. It just makes more sense from a reading standpoint to get as much variety as possible, and because of the sheer amount of GA material out there that I want to read.

I went ahead and plotted out the contents last night because I was so excited about the book (and still am). Rather than trying to be ordered and logical about it, getting in x-number of Black Terror stories, or putting everything in chronological order. I just went somewhat at random, deciding what character I wanted next and finding a story that looked good, or randomly picking a book from my Nedor folder and including the first story that stood out to me. The only special planning that went into it was saving the good post-war stories for the last 150-ish pages and making sure the story order worked to fit in double page spreads. I also tried to avoid original issues I had in my collection, or AC reprints that I have, even though they're black and white and these will be color. I think I did select a few from Bill Nolan's Pure Excitement Comics, but that's OK. I wanted as much new stuff as possible and I tried to get at least one story of most of the superheroes. A few minor ones got left out, but I'm sure I'll have a vol.2 at some point, and a vol.3, and 4, and... Actually, I figured out that with 500-ish page books, it would take over 35 volumes to fully collect Nedor's superhero books (sans Supermouse). Anyway, here is the list of what I came up with for the first volume:

1Black TerrorAmerica's Best Comics #2
2Fighting YankStartling Comics #27
3PyromanStartling Comics #20
4Doc StrangeThrilling Comics #33
5American EagleExciting Comics #33
6Black TerrorExciting Comics #33
7WondermanMystery Comics #4
8American CrusaderThrilling Comics #26
9Hale of the HeraldThrilling Comics #26
10Four ComradesStartling Comics #23
11Fighting YankStartling Comics #25
12Woman in RedThrilling Comics #10
13LiberatorExciting Comics #15
14Doc StrangeAmerica's Best Comics #11
15SupermouseCoo Coo Comics #7
16The SphinxExciting Comics #12
17Black TerrorExciting Comics #44
18PyromanStartling Comics #38
19Grim ReaperWonder Comics #6
20The OracleStartling Comics #20
21Text - Fighting YankFighting Yank #4
22Fighting YankFighting Yank #5 - Story 1
23Captain FutureAmerica's Best Comics #5
24PyromanAmerica's Best Comics #8
25American EagleExciting Comics #31
26Four ComradesStartling Comics #27
27Doc StrangeThrilling Comics #49
28The GhostThrilling Comics #49
29Commando CubsThrilling Comics #41
30Black TerrorExciting Comics #12
31The MaskExciting Comics #2
32Ace BuckleyStartling Comics #7
33The ScarabBlack Terror #20
34Captain FutureStartling Comics #36
35Black TerrorExciting Comics #50
36Miss MasqueExciting Comics #53
37Doc StrangeAmerica's Best Comics #27
38SupermouseSupermouse, the Big Cheese, Summer Holiday #1 - Story 5
39Black TerrorBlack Terror #19 - Story 1
40Miss MasqueAmerica's Best Comics #30
41Fighting YankStartling Comics #45
42Black TerrorAmerica's Best Comics #30
43Fighting YankFighting Yank #26 - Story 3
44Doc StrangeThrilling Comics #64
45Phantom DetectiveThrilling Comics #61
46PyromanAmerica's Best Comics #24
47Black TerrorBlack Terror #27 - Story 3
48Fighting YankFighting Yank #25 - Story 1
49Black TerrorExciting Comics #67
50Text - Black TerrorBlack Terror #26
51Black TerrorExciting Comics #64
I'm kind of disappointed that I didn't get in some late-40s stuff like Pantha, or Lance Lewis, but again, there's always vol.2. I wanted to give more priority to the early-mid 40s material since less of that has been reprinted.

-Eric
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 07:59:05 PM by srca1941 »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 09:24:45 PM »
Phew, that's a lot!  Show us a cover when you got one Eric.
Good luck!

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 07:05:48 AM »
Wow! Looks like a tremendous amoun of work!
Good luck!