developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Fiche Story  (Read 3318 times)

Offline sandmountainslim

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Fiche Story
« on: September 21, 2016, 09:50:31 AM »
Please inform me about the comics in microfiche form.  When were these scanned and by whom? What was the purpose in preserving the comics in this format? I'm glad we have them I was just wondering when they originated and what they were intended for

Digital Comic Museum

Fiche Story
« on: September 21, 2016, 09:50:31 AM »

Offline crashryan

• DCM Member
Re: Fiche Story
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 10:53:42 AM »
The following is "as I understand it." I hope someone with deeper knowledge of the subject will correct errors.

Fiche books date from pre-digital times. It was about the only way to "scan," store, and copy printed comics. I'm hazy on the exact nature of the microfiche process. It was related to microfilm, a photographic process which copied only in black and white.  Libraries kept archives of old newspapers on spools of 35mm film which were viewed on big tabletop machines that projected an image onto a ground glass screen. (Our local library still maintains a microfilm newspaper collection.) I remember that dealers (in the 70s and 80s, I believe) sold Golden Age fiche collections through the mail. What I never understood about color microfiche is why fiche copies are invariably out of focus. Seems to me if you're shooting on 35mm color film you'd get a better image.

The more I write the more I realize both how little I know about fiche comics, and also how important they were to comics history. As awful as fiche copies are, it's good they were made, because many rare and valuable comics are available only in that form. By now the original books have been slabbed and removed forever from public view.

Offline crashryan

• DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 11:16:52 AM »
I should have done my research first. Having done so I can now answer some of my own questions. Microfiche differs from microfilm in that super-small images are photographically printed onto 4x6-inch cards rather than strips of film.  Cards are read with a desktop projector similar to a microfilm reader. The operator positions the reader's lens over a page and an enlarged image is projected onto a screen.

All the research I read mentions two limitations to microform images. In the case of microfilm, the high-contrast b&w film can't reproduce grey scale images and is useless with color originals. In the case of color microfiche, the bright lights of the readers degrade the dyes making up the color image and the image fades. On the other hand, one site pointed out that while CD's last 75-100 years, microfiche should last up to 500 years.

One question none of the research answers is why b&w microfilm is photographed only onto high-contrast film. Magazines and comics would benefit from a full range of grey tones.

Offline sandmountainslim

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 08:09:01 PM »
Thank you!  That answered a lot of my questions.   
I am also thankful the Fiche copies exist even though I prefer reading a paper scan when possible.

Offline Crimson-Blue-Green

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Sensational Idols
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 12:47:58 PM »
I've noticed Heritage has scans of front and back covers that DCM still only has the fiche versions.  "Captain Marvel Adventures" #1, "Sure-Fire Comics" #1 and too many more to list while I'm using the library's computer.  I think it would be nice to see a minor upgrade for these titles, just so DCM has the best. most complete paper copies (and we don't need to use 2 to 3 websites to search for every page we need to complete a personal edit of a comic we want.  Yes. I'm being selfish here....)  :D   
My Japanese idol music website: http://sensational-idols.weebly.com/

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 06:58:16 PM »
In a perfect world it would happen but I personally have too many irons in the fire already to do something like this.  But maybe someone else out there might like to do it.
But they #1 they would need to be do is MATCH THE JPG FILE NAME STRUCTURE OF THE OTHER SCANS so the new pages show up in the proper order.
They'd also want to fully credit the original scanners (when known) in both the cbz file name as well as any uploads to the site in the descriptions.

-Yoc

Offline sandmountainslim

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 03:15:21 PM »
I notice most of the Fawcett material is fiche.  Does this mean there are no surviving paper copies of most of the Marvel family issues or just that many of them have not been scanned? 

Offline movielover

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 04:03:12 PM »
That would be a case where no copies are in the hands of scanners. Very few people who own comics actually scan them.

Offline sandmountainslim

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 05:36:20 PM »
Don't get me wrong.  I appreciate the fiche copies and I am thankful they exist but they are a little hard on my 46 year old eyes.

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 10:48:46 PM »
Microfiche differs from microfilm in that super-small images are photographically printed onto 4x6-inch cards rather than strips of film.

No you're thinking of microcards. Microfiche is transparencies though its size is about 4" by 6".  A company called Microcolour produced authorized microfiche copies of quite a bit of DC's, and Marvel's Golden Age material.  Microcolour also sold fiche readers.  I have one sitting right next to me now, but with scans I seldom use it any more. Others did it more widely on an unauthorized basis.  Jerry Bails might have been the first to make microfilm for fans, though his was b&w.  You could get transparent holders that you could slide the microfilm into after cutting it apart.  The forms had, as I recall, six slotted rows and each row would hold a dozen or so images. So you could make your own "fiche". You could read the stories, but if you've ever looked at color newspaper comics on microfilm, you probably know the disappointment == but then it was all we had. Except for expensive originals -- and who in their right mind would pay $10 or more for a comic :-)

One question none of the research answers is why b&w microfilm is photographed only onto high-contrast film. Magazines and comics would benefit from a full range of grey tones.

I'm not sure.  It might be that mostly what was microfilmed was newspapers or books with no color which were best seen that way.  Or it might be that to get the images small you needed a high contrast film.

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 03:46:19 PM »
I can confirm that Jerry Bails was the first to offer Golden Age comics, and a few newspaper strips, via 16mm black & white micro-film. This began circa 1963 or 1964.

The first thing Jerry offered was a a collection of All-Star Comics starting with #6 and ending with about #20. All for the incredibly high price of between $20 & $25, or so. By the time the dust settled the reel I received went to issue #25.

Of course all the local libraries had only 35mm micro-film viewers. I had to invent my own projector to view the stories.

Jerry later tried a Comics Micro-Film Lending Library.  After a year or so, he gave up and sold off the stock. I bought Star-Spangled Comics #16 to 20 at the fire sale. The end of that reel also contained about six months of On Stage Sunday strips and some stories from Batman #1.

As done by Jerry Bails, comics on micro-film were easy to read, when projected properly. My two reels are still down in the vault.

Offline sandmountainslim

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 08:15:45 AM »
I have bought a copy of Captain Marvel Adventures 14 which I notice is only available in microfiche. Unfortunately I do not own a scanner!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 09:44:35 AM »
I'll put you in touch with a scanner on staff with the site that can take care of it for you slim.
Check your Private Messages.

-Yoc

Offline sandmountainslim

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 11:04:22 AM »
Good deal!  Yeah I would love to help out. I wonder if anyone could make me a faux cover for it?  The copy I bought is coverless.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 11:14:51 AM »
No worries, we likely can find one on the Heritage Auctions site.  They have a wonderful archive of high resolution front and back covers there from past auctions.  And there is the fiche scan for ifc, ibc fills as well.

-Yoc