- +

Author Topic: Download Speed Problem  (Read 8409 times)

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Download Speed Problem
« on: January 23, 2014, 08:06:19 PM »
 Is anyone else having a problem with the download speed? I just tried to download a book here that was going to take over 20 minutes, but only took 1-2 (if that) at CB+.

-Eric

Digital Comic Museum

Download Speed Problem
« on: January 23, 2014, 08:06:19 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Download Speed Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 09:06:47 PM »
Hi Eric,
You are the second to mention it.  I just tried a download and had no problem at all.

Jessie James 8
28.85mb at an average download speed of 895 kB/sec in about 20 seconds or so.

Wish I could be more helpful.

Offline larrytalbot

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 02:13:40 AM »
srca1941: like you, my download speed here was snail paced. Files that had previously downloaded in seconds suddenly took up to 20 min. Download speeds at other sites on the net were normal. This has been happening for the past 2 weeks. But just tonight my download speed is back to normal. Could this be a selective thing, originating from our internet service providers?

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 09:04:28 AM »
I don't know why it would since other sites operate normally. However, I'm a designer, not a programmer so my knowledge of back-end internet operations is fairly limited.

Last night it took 5 minutes to download Jesse James #8 and Manhunt #11 was only slightly better just now. I first noticed this problem after I had been signed out of the site and had to sign back in. I'm wondering if it's a cookie thing or some sort of other account issue. Like I said though, my coding knowledge is limited so I can only guess. I'll try signing out and back in again.

-Eric

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 09:08:51 AM »
After signing out and back in, I tried downloading another similar-sized file, Radiant Love #3. It took about a minute or two. Faster than yesterday, but still slower than normal.

-Eric

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 03:26:35 PM »
Hi Guys,
Sorry for your troubles.  I've never seen the problem myself.
I will mention though that we haven't completely finished moving servers yet which might possibly have something to do with it.  There's still some final touches to be done.  But once done if I understand right, we should have more capacity and an upgrade in download speeds.  We're waiting on CaptDJ to confirm everything before saying all is done.  There's still some nagging bugs with the User_CP and click 'more' in the Latest, Most Downloaded and Hightest Rated sections.

Stay tuned,
-Yoc

Offline larrytalbot

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 11:20:54 PM »
Tonight my downloads were at snail pace again (20 min per file).

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 09:28:50 AM »
Hi Larry,
Have you tried the same file using another browser?  It likely wouldn't help but you never know.
Also, have you found it slower at a specific time of day?  We have no idea what our server supplier is going to do or when.  It is possibly they are servicing something I suppose.
Again, I haven't had any problem yet and find it all sadly mystifying.

-Yoc

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 11:30:16 AM »
No change with a different browser. Still slow as molasses.

-Eric

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 04:07:35 PM »
Sorry guys, I'm at a loss.  I've asked CaptDJ to check into this.
Meanwhile I suggest using CB+ is at least an option.

Offline larrytalbot

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 11:06:10 PM »
Same  here, Yoc. After one day of normal speed, am now back again to slow mode. Is it possible for an internet service provider to selectively reduce a customer's download speed on a specific site if the provider considers that the customer is downloading too much from that site? 

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 08:03:53 AM »
Doubtful. It's been a while since I downloaded anything from this site, let alone a large volume. I only noticed it after Mike Catron posted, asking for L. B. Cole material. I offered a scan of the 2-page Unknown Soldier splash from Four Favorites #12. My copy is split down the spine and just a stack of paper. When the artwork didn't fully line up, I wanted to check the scans on here to see how the book was supposed to look. That's when I discovered the download speed issue and posted about it. Prior to that, the last time I downloaded anything here was on January 4 (Nature Boy #3) and December 2 before that. Hardly a large volume.

The more I've thought about it, the more I vaguely recall either myself or someone else having this issue, possibly at CB+ back before it was CB+. This was a number of years ago. It MIGHT have had something to do with the User CP. When I click on that link I get a blank page. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to get, but I don't think it's supposed to be blank.

And just FYI, my copy of FF #12 was missing a tiny bit of artwork on both pages which was found on the edge of two other pages. I put the four scans together and came up with a complete scan of Cole's artwork for Fantagraphics. Not only did Ace split the art when printing it, they colored it differently on each page!  ::)

-Eric

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 08:13:30 AM »
I will say that while the download speed is still slow, it isn't taking the online preview pages as long to load this morning. They were running as slow as the downloads before.

-Eric

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 11:46:24 AM »
HI Eric,
The broken User_CP as well as broken 'More' links are all because of the incomplete move on the server.  It's my hope that once finished all our headaches will be gone.  Unfortunately we will all need to be patent.
I'm sure Capt will announce when all the particulars are completed.

-Yoc

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 09:40:11 AM »
Download speed looks like it's back to normal (for now). I'll let you if that changes again.

-Eric