developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Comics are all our hobby, but what other BIG HOBBY OF INTEREST might you have?  (Read 11248 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Wow, very interesting stuff Eric!
Thanks very much for sharing these with us.
:)

Digital Comic Museum

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Thanks! One more and then I'll shut up. :-X I just wanted to show a sort of before and after so people can get the sense of the difference between the scan of a print, and a copy made from the negative.

The print:
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/188/maryannh.jpg
And the digital photo of the negative:
http://schildknecht.goldenagegraphics.net/main.php?cmd=image&var1=Schild_001%2FSchild_001_0018.jpg&var2=800_85
-Eric

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
Eric,
My family and I live way up north on the shores of Lake Superior.
We were in Louisville last spring for the big High School National Archery Competition.
I walked right by Whiskey Row and wondered what was going on.
I wish had had known you were in the area, we could have hooked up and talked comics.
There is a good chance that we will be down there again this spring.
Yours,
B

Offline KingFaraday

• VIP
  • DCM Member

Eric, thanks for sharing the photos. Very interesting especially the results of the comparison of scan to negative photo. Really cleaned things up. I'd be interested in any old photos of Crescent Hill, I grew up off Frankfort Ave by the water co and live off Cannons Lane by the park.

I got into genealogy a couple years ago as I was approaching my 60th birthday. Since then I've built a large extended family tree and scanned many old photos.

I also enjoy old movies and classic tv. History and popular culture have been interests for a long time. I was once a member of SABR and did lots of research on 19th century base ball in Louisville. I've collected sports and non-sports cards off and on over the last 40 years.

When the weather is good I putter about in the yard doing gardening and landscaping as well as cooking on the grill.

Also a big sports fan and attend games and follow my alma mater's teams.

And a music fan. My itunes library reflects the obsessive nature of an collector filling an external hard drive.

When anyone is visiting in Louisville give me a shout and we'll show you some Southern Hospitality.

Rod

Offline crashryan

• DCM Member
Interesting to hear about everyone's passions. I'm a great fan of Golden Age Illustration (ca 1900-1955) and 19th Century Academic painters. I have a reasonable collection of books, tearsheets, and such, but now with the Internet and sites like Tumblr I'm filling several hard drives with so many images I'll probably never get round to looking at them again.

I enjoy movies of the 30s through the 50s, especially 30s musicals and noirish b&w movies with good art direction. However if I'm watching TV I can't be sitting at the drawing board, so I don't watch many of them any more.

I guess my greatest non-comics passion is popular and novelty music of the 20s and early 30s--up til the Big Band style took over. I have stacks of old 78s for my Victrola and subscribe to several YouTube channels on which collectors from around the world play and write about 20s records. My soundtrack is the website "Radio Dismuke," which plays all that stuff--if you like 20s and 30s music, definitely check it out.

Offline dbigwood

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
My other passions are music and dance. I'm always up for English Country, Contra, International. Done some Scandi, Morris, Scottish, squares, etc. If I'm visiting a new place I always check out the dancing. Nicest people.

Music, Bach, Stravinsky, Mozart, Gershwin, opera, chamber, folk, choral.... Recently heard a Korean drum group, Bach oratorio, flute recital and change ringing. Plenty of pop. rock, singer-songwriter on my player. Ting-Tings, Clapton, Beatles, Corrs, U2....

Offline darwination

• VIP
  • DCM Member
My main hobby for the past few years is coaching youth sports, having coached multiple seasons of girl's soccer and boy's baseball and basketball.  I watch a fair amount of sports, too, especially the Memphis Grizzlies.  I weight lift 3-4 times a week, as I'm a huge believer in the benefits of physical fitness.

I've played guitar (and lately some piano) since I was a teen but recently have been making electronic music (https://soundcloud.com/darwin48).

I like to read (comics, novels, History), watch movies and television, collect magazines, records (mostly jazz), and comics and occasionally write about my scans at http://darwinscans.blogspot.com/

Beau

P.S. Rod - I visited Louisville a year or two ago with the fam and enjoyed what I saw of the city on a little Fall Break trip that included Louisville and Mammoth Cave.  In particular, we enjoyed the Louisville Slugger Museum and seeing Churchill Downs.

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
Thanks Guys for sharing. By the way darwin I collect and listen to Jazz too.

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline zzzzzzog

• Super donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
Litterature (reading, writing) , Saint-Petersbourg (Russia, not USA), Venise (Italy, not California), travels, my 2.5 years monster  :hug: daughter !

Offline Crimson-Blue-Green

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Sensational Idols
I love writing.  I took and passed a writing course to learn how to write for children and teens.  I tried to get published but magazines weren't interested in my stories.  I guess I shouldn't have given up trying to get published, but I did. 

I love music.  I grew up listening to rock and pop on the radio, got into heavy metal after graduating high school but now mainly listen to Japanese idol music.  I have a blog about this, but I haven't updated it in months.  A lot of my favorite rock groups are old and haven't released any albums lately.  Quite a few Japanese idol groups I like broke up or lost their best singers.  Very depressed about all of this but I'm still listening to old songs. 

My Japanese idol music website: http://sensational-idols.weebly.com/

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
How's about writing?

Offline Crimson-Blue-Green

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Sensational Idols
The only writing I do is blogging when I am online with my desktop.  I just got it fixed so maybe I'll get the internet again and continue blogging.  But I'm not sure if I'll try to publish anything beyond that.
My Japanese idol music website: http://sensational-idols.weebly.com/

Offline Wolfboy

• DCM Member
  • Gold and Silver Age Fan
I have been doing replica props for years (25+), Also I was a touring musician from 1984 to 2005 so I guess I love music. I am also guilty of watching old republic serials over and over and Old Sci-fi and MST3k.

Offline Recinos

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
I have been doing replica props for years (25+), Also I was a touring musician from 1984 to 2005 so I guess I love this bathmate review music. I am also guilty of watching old republic serials over and over and Old Sci-fi and MST3k.

My other big hobby is gaming. I'm into indie games a lot. The best one last year being Cuphead. I love that game. Anyone esle tried it?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 12:56:36 AM by Recinos »

Offline Robb_K

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Barks/Gottfriedson/Hultgren Fan
As far as comics go, I have collected US, Canadian and Dutch comedy-based comic books from 1938-1966 (Dutch books till the present(as I still collect books that include stories worked on by myself and Dutch, Danish and German colleagues and friends)). I inherited hundreds of books from 1938-1948 from my older cousins who lived with us, or very nearby) and started getting my own in 1949 and stopped buying new Canadian and US books in 1966, and new Dutch books around 2000.  Now, thanks to DCM and CB+, as well as other sources, I only read digital copies of them, as well as thousands of comic books from the 1930s through 1950s that I had never bought on paper, many to which I never had access.

I also have been a big ice hockey fan and Canadian and US football fan, and had bought hockey cards as a kid during the 1950s.  I still follow The NHL and a couple leagues in Sweden, Denmark and Holland.

I also collected vinyl music records of from 1936-1970, starting to buy them in 1953, and, except for a handful of record swaps, ending in 1972, when I moved permanently to The Netherlands.  I collected mainly Rhythm & Blues, Delta and Chicago Blues, Jazz, Gospel, and Soul music.  Although I still have the original records.  I never play them anymore, I just listen to digital recordings of them. 

Like several other members here, I also love old films and TV shows. Since my semi-retirement started (I still work on a few comic book stories each year), I watch hundreds of old ones (late 1920s through the mid 1960s, or so,) of US, Canadian, British, Australian, Irish, South African, Dutch, Belgian, Danish and Swedish films, and TV shows. I've never bought or made copies for myself.  I just watch them on You-Tube and a few other no-charge websites, or watch them from my friends' video collections, or on my 4 Trans-Atlantic Airplane flights per year from Europe to Canada and USA on which, I can usually fit in 6 feature films per flight (That was all pre-Pandemic, of course).
https://i.ibb.co/G3x88Lr/Donald75.jpg