developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: You can now scan comics at Washington's Library of Congress  (Read 20940 times)

Offline gafaicheng

• DCM Member
Re: You can now scan comics at Washington's Library of Congress
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »
This is great, thanks for providing an invaluable service to collectors and archivists!

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 04:36:21 PM »
You are most welcome!

Enjoy the goodies!
:D

Offline tv horror

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 12:52:55 PM »
I take it that Amazing fantasy 15 is out of the question? Now that is one set of original art I'd love to get scanned.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 03:42:40 PM »
I take it that Amazing fantasy 15 is out of the question? Now that is one set of original art I'd love to get scanned.

Sadly, it's not public domain... but I'm crazy happy to know that somebody actually donated what is probably the single most valuable comic book original art to the LOC.  That still blows my mind.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 04:07:15 PM »
I've seen digital pictures of the original art guys.  Perhaps a Google for it might turn them up for you.
There were some surprises you could see behind some white out and paste up corrections.

-Yoc

Offline tv horror

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2017, 07:21:04 PM »

Sadly, it's not public domain... but I'm crazy happy to know that somebody actually donated what is probably the single most valuable comic book original art to the LOC.  That still blows my mind.

The somebody was Marie Severin from what I heard.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 03:13:36 AM »

The somebody was Marie Severin from what I heard.

I had never heard a name, just that they were anonymous; it wasn't Ditko; and Ditko had been asked and OK'd the donation.

Marie Severin makes perfect sense and it's hard to think of anybody else who does, though.

Offline tcape1972

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2019, 10:26:09 AM »
 Many years ago, probably in the early 90s or late 80s I went to the LOC to do the same thing. I had heard you could read old comics. I actually was able to make black and white copies of a bunch of them. At the time, it was Junior, Phanton Lady, etc. I actually held Thunda #1 in my hands(I think). I still have them somewhere, like 15 or 20 black and white copies of comics I scanned there. Some of them were starting to fall apart as I laid them on the flatbed scanner. If I remember right I had to pay to scan them. I'm going to see if I can relocate them.

Offline Shea6408

• DCM Member
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2020, 02:31:53 AM »

The original artwork for the Spider-Man story from Amazing Fantasy #15 has been reproduced in the first Spider-Man Epic Collection trade paperback ("Great Power").  It's probably the best we're going to have unless IDW is able to make an Artist's Edition.  I presume Marvel would be okay with it, but I don't know if it's something the Library of Congress would allow.

Offline jivet

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2023, 09:14:35 AM »
I live somewhat close to here enough to make a day trip. Is this still something that needs to be done and can help the site? It looks like it has been years since anyone talked about doing it.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2023, 09:51:10 AM »
Hi Jivet,
Sure, if you are willing to go.  But remember you do have to apply and receive a library card from them first before you are allowed to borrow anything from their collection.  And you need to submit a list of your requests at least 48 hours before your visit.

You can read about how to get a card from the LOC at this link -
https://www.loc.gov/rr/readerregistration.html

If you are planning a visit let us know and we can suggest some books that could use a new scan.

Good luck!
-Yoc