- +

Author Topic: file numbering format  (Read 15090 times)

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: file numbering format
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 08:14:52 AM »
Would it be possible for the format for the naming of all the files posted to DCM to be coordinated, with DCM setting a single standard that everyone could follow? 

I think a good format could be something like -- full title of the series -- followed by issue number -- followed by any variant descriptive information, such as the year or number of pages.  Also there should be a single standard for spaces, such as the underline symbol "_".

So an example would be: Horrors_At_Midnight_004_1952_36pp.cbr 

If all posters followed such a simple standard format, think of what a pleasure that would be when sorting your downloaded files!

That wouldn't help me sort my downloaded files at all.  I would still need to rename them, since the naming/sorting format I use is not the same as yours (date, publisher, then title & issue number).

I'm not knocking the idea of there being a standard way of naming the actual files, because however it's done, I still need to rename every file I get, so it really doesn't matter to me either way.  But, it takes two seconds for someone to rename a file after they've download it, and you're asking anyone who isn't you to spend countless hours in order to identify, download, rename and then upload a file to meet your standard ... without getting paid for doing it.  Call me silly, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 08:14:52 AM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 10:48:20 AM »
It can only happen if it's somehow automated.  I'd rather our code master concentrate on new exciting features than something like this.  As nice as it might be.

-yoc

Offline sevengates

• DCM Member
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 07:13:22 PM »
I guess my last comment didn't sound like I meant it to sound.  I apologize if it sounded demanding, which was not my intention. 

I only meant to bring attention to the concept of file naming.  I thank everyone who took the time to consider the issue.  I understand what you are saying re why files have the names they do. 

DCM is a fabulous site, and thanks to all who make it happen.  Peace out.

Offline garbanzo

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 02:14:59 PM »
Lazy filenames are my only complaint about this site. Why can't a standard be enforced? Scanner release hubs on DC++ enforce file naming conventions, and those hubs can see several hundreds of new files uploaded in a single day. They have no problems enforcing a convention. Now consider the fact that the number of uploads per week at DCM can usually be counted on one hand - that's hardly a chore to moderate. There's no need for automation. If the site needs volunteers to moderate uploads, just ask. I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses.

Of course you'll never find a standard that pleases every user. Nobody can. And no file sharing sites I am part of even considers this as something to be concerned about. They set the standard and enforce the standard. If users want to rename files on their own, that's their prerogative. But at least you can look at a file you've downloaded and actually know what it is. Here, there's no telling with some files. cmj34.zip - any clues?

A comic book's indica page tells us its title. The issue number is found on the indica and/or the cover. A filename should at the very least start with the full and proper tile, followed by a space, followed by the issue number, followed by another space if anything comes after that.

If the scanner/uploader wants to zero-pad the number, or to add issue year and/or month, or stick on a bunch of other stuff like publisher or scanner/editor tags or random characters, that's fine. But the root filename can and should be standardized.

Also, why allow ZIP and RAR files, when CBZ and CBR are standards?

That's just my two cents. Take it or leave it :)

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 04:10:09 PM »
Not all books have numbers.  Not all books have the indicia agree with the title.  There are lots of titles that had multiple series, and your proposed filename might not cover some of those duplicates. For the life of me, I don't know why everybody doesn't rename files to CBZ or CBR but they don't.

This is an all-volunteer operation.  Even if we had a standard naming convention, enforcing it would be a problem.  The way our software works, it's surprisingly hard to change the name of the file; the only way I know is to download it, rename it, and reupload it.  It's a tech limitation.  Even more importantly, there are scanners who would take offense if we renamed the convention they use on their books.

Even if we got past all that, one of the reasons we only get a few scans a week is because such a high percentage of books that are usable on the site at all are already uploaded.  A few files a week wouldn't be difficult... but renaming literally thousands of older scans would be.

Also, there are people out there who track what books they have by the names of the scans, and particularly what version of the scan if multiples versions exist.  Renaming the files would create confusion for a lot of people over what they already have.

If we were starting this project all over, yeah, we might have tried to create and enforce a standard.  At this point it would probably do more harm than good.

Oh, and I'm willing to bet cmj34.zip is Captain Marvel Junior #34 or 35.  (Those issues got merged into one for reasons lost in the mists of time.)  But I'm deliberately not checking until after I post this.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 04:17:27 PM »
And for what it's worth, I seem to have been wrong on the cmj34...

Offline garbanzo

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2017, 05:41:20 AM »
As I re-read my post with fresh eyes this morning, it struck me that I may have come across as ungrateful. I am certainly not! I adore this site, and I'm indebted to everyone who makes it happen, from the buyers to the scanners to the editors to the uploaders to the coders to the staff. I'm just offering my perspective as a user. Moreover, in the real world I work as a processes improvement project manager, so I'm rarely content with how things are, when I can imagine how things could be. And I stubbornly refuse to accept the idea that things ought not change sake of appealing to the phrase "that's how they've always been"!

That said, I really don't think things are as complicated as you suggest. Yes, there are exceptions. And if you try to build your rules around those exceptions - those few odd books, or those few picky users - you'll give yourself a headache. It's easier to let them be what they are - exceptions to the rule.

I refer again to some torrent trackers I belong to (all of which are also run by volunteers). One in particular hosts 1.2 million torrents. Rules are in place about those uploads - what type of file they can be, how the files are named, what folder structure is used - and by golly, it works! All 1.2 million files conform to the rules.

You do make a good point that most files that might be uploaded here have already been uploaded here, and that going back and changing them would be a chore. You also suggest that things might be done differently if you were to start over from scratch. Why not consider that? This site is great as a massive, lightly-organized dump of scans, but with some thoughtful curation work, it could become a truly amazing archive of history - a "museum" in the truest sense of the word.

Anyway, I need to get back to cataloging my own collection. Let me know if you ever feel like starting fresh, I would love to help.

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2017, 05:56:20 AM »
Uploading in rar or zip format being bad I agree with, we need to do more about this. We could even script it just to change file extensions from rar to cbr on the server side after they been uploaded or could go as far as banning .rar / .zip uploads.

Most of this goes back to the time where we were happy to have any upload so wasn't overly worried about the format / filename etc as long as we had it on the site

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2017, 10:06:19 AM »
If a script to rename rar and zip files to the cbr/cbz file name were easy to do please feel free Capt.
But I don't think we should 'ban' them.  Some people out there might have no choice (as far as they know) in what format they share with.

-Yoc

Offline Snard

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 05:53:10 AM »
I agree with Yoc's statement about not banning any particular extension (i.e. .rar or .zip). I personally keep all of my comic archives named as .zip, since I don't use CDisplay, but rather choose to use built-in Windows tools for viewing the files (Windows natively supports the .zip extension). When I do uploads to DCM, I try to remember to make a copy of the file, renamed as .cbz, before I upload. However, if there were a script or action on DCM that took care of the renaming for me during uploads, I would welcome that, since it would be one less thing to remember to do.  (As a side note, the upload service for DC++ does something like this.)

Thanks for all you do.

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2017, 12:12:02 PM »
Have changed code so when a user clicks download a .zip files changes to .cbz and .rar files change to .cbr
So no .zip / .rar files should now ever be offered to downloaded

No change on uploads, users can still upload .zip and .rar files.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2017, 03:06:29 PM »
Thanks very much Capt.  A nice update for those especially unable to change file formats for any reason.

-Yoc

Offline garbanzo

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2017, 04:36:36 PM »
A welcome change! Thank you all for for considering, discussing, and implementing  8)

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2017, 05:19:44 PM »
We always welcome suggestions, if community want the change then we will make it

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2017, 03:36:34 PM »
We have made one further change and we have changed the upload function to now detect the file type being uploaded and will auto fix common file extension problems.

For example:
a .zip file uploaded as a .cbr file will be auto fixed to a .cbz file
a .rar file uploaded will be auto fixed to .cbr

This should reduce work on staff and stop common problems with Comic Preview feature etc.