General Category > Comic Related Discussion

The Martin Luther King "Montgomery story" comic book

<< < (5/6) > >>

JVJ (RIP):
Well-reasoned and well-researched, Eddie.
I'm on the task. I've got my stack of Toby comics and my Toby notes and away I'm going...

Will let you know what, if anything, I find.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

EddieCampbell:
thanks, Jim.

there are other ideas presented above that could add to the picture, such as RJ's suggestion that we check the address on the Capp comic books. All in all it's great where you can get by just applying logic. And sticking to the evidence of course, and avoiding repeating things that never made any sense in the first place. This story was riddled with such things (such as "Al Capp's Toby Press") and yet it was sitting quite close to the truth all along (though much of what we've arrived at is still theoretical).

of passing interest, Andrew (my pal mentioned throughout the above) also noted:
"Also, the Subcommittee issued "grades" on a large swath of comics with A and B being acceptable and C and D being unacceptable.  Several Toby publications were reviewed, including "Great Lover Romances" which was given a "C" rating."

JVJ (RIP):
We will all keep plugging and chipping away at the mystery, Eddie,
Here's a big chunk off the "ediface". These are all of the artists I can identify in my Toby comics from 1953 onward. I'm pretty certain that Kotzky is there with Keefer on some of Keefer's best (and unsigned) work. The ONLY possible name from this list for the CD book is Keefer, but he simply isn't consistent enough in his "style" to suggest seriously.

NONE of the other names on this list is a contender (including the added names):
TOBY artists - 1953 onwardJack Abel
Valerie Barclay
Dick Beck
Betancourt
Lorence Bjorklund
Ben Brown
Sam Burlockoff
Christiano
Bob Correa
Ellis Eringer
Myron Fass
David Gantz
Tom Gill
Art Helfant
Medio Iorio
Mel Keefer - ?
Alice Kirkpatrick
George Klein
Alex Kotzky(?)
Littman
Bill Martin
Gerald McCann
Bob McCarty
Charles Nicholas
O'Brien
George Olesen
Art Peddy
John Rosenberger
Alex Schomberg
Mike Sekowsky
E.J. Smalle
Jack Sparling
Charles Sultan
Sal Trapani
Bill Walsh
William Weltman
Leon Winick
Les Zakarin

add:
Marty Elkin ('55)
Frank Frazetta
Don Heck ('55)
Nat Johnson ('55)
Fred Kida
Mel Lazarus
Jim McCardle
Ernie Schroeder
Al Williamson

Note: Sept. 1954 dated O.S. lists only Elliot Caplin as owner.

JVJ (RIP):

--- Quote from: EddieCampbell on August 18, 2012, 06:30:19 PM ---thanks, Jim.
--- End quote ---
You're very welcome, Eddie.

--- Quote ---of passing interest, Andrew (my pal mentioned throughout the above) also noted:
"Also, the Subcommittee issued "grades" on a large swath of comics with A and B being acceptable and C and D being unacceptable.  Several Toby publications were reviewed, including "Great Lover Romances" which was given a "C" rating."

--- End quote ---
I'll bet that was based entirely on the TITLE of the comic.

(|:{>

EddieCampbell:
The Schmoo comics were indeed published by Toby Press. I wonder whether Capp had a financial stake in Toby after all....
"Al Capp's Toby Press created five issues of Shmoo Comics back in 1949 and 1950 to capitalize on the fad.  In 2008, Denis Kitchen reprinted the entire run in this handsome volume from Dark Horse Archives."
quoted from this blog:
http://attemptedbloggery.blogspot.com.au/2011/08/book-review-al-capps-shmoo-complete.html

the next question is: does "Al Capp's Toby Press" originate with the blogger or is it in Kitchen's introductory notes?

From Here it found its way into the story about the MLK book.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version