- +

Author Topic: A webcomic made with DCM art, and a DCM database you can explore  (Read 5041 times)

Offline zoink

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Hi everyone,

I've launched a webcomic that is made from art found at the DCM. The comic is somewhat political, and discussion of politics is NOT something the DCM wants here in the forum, but the general use of the archive will be of interest to some people here.  And the database will interest a few people because you can search for comics by keyword. It's not a database covering the entire collection at the DCM – it's about 14,000 pages. I asked Yoc and he kindly encouraged me to post a note here. I'm very interested in adding artist credits where they are missing, and each DCM source is linked throughout the comic.

http://www.theamericanrabbit.com/the-american-rabbit-wakes-up
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:34:50 PM by Yoc »

Digital Comic Museum

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: A webcomic made with DCM art, and a database you can explore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 12:34:34 PM »
Thanks very much Z!
And here's a direct link to the database for future reference -
DCM Searchable database: http://www.theamericanrabbit.com/database

Offline tilliban

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • FIFTIES HORROR!
Re: A webcomic made with DCM art, and a DCM database you can explore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 12:19:47 PM »
Hi, zoink!

I like the idea - and the results so far look very nice and rather promising.
Looking forward to that.
Pre-code horror aficionado and propagator of ACE comic books.
I run a number of websites about pre-code horror. Please follow the links.

Offline zoink

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 04:20:01 PM »
tilliban, thank you, I'm glad to have a reader outside the USA. As I was setting up the database, my first notes regarding the DCM mention that you are in Germany. You may notice that in spite of those notes, credits on the webcomic don't ever list the publisher, the scanner, or the source in-between those two (often JVJ).  The process of listing credits is currently slow and laborious because I don't have all of my source material linked to the DCM. So at this time, scanners receive no credit whatsoever, and I think the JVJ collection is only mentioned once in passing. Hopefully this will improve.

Worst of all, the artist credits are not even complete (underneath each comic page if you scroll down). My artist spotting is improving,  so that will be more complete over time. Your website about Ace horror comics will help me with that. I hope that nearly every fragment (often just hair or a sleeve, etc) will be credited in the future, with more information about the artists. In general, I want to always adhere to a considerate use of public domain materials, and I do appreciate the work of all who have contributed to the DCM, and made my webcomic project possible.

Offline tilliban

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • FIFTIES HORROR!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:57:07 AM »
I'm not fishing for scanning credits, man.
Don't overdo it with the crediting in general. Give it to DCM as source - and to spread the news about this fantastic institution, of course.
I wouldn't bother if I was just using excerpts and clippings from single panels.
But if you wanna know about some artist in particular, the gang here at DCM will be glad to be of assistance.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 10:52:05 AM »
No need to credit any of my scans either. If you need anything PD from the SA you can drop by CB+

Offline zoink

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 11:35:34 AM »
Thanks, narfstar, I have just barely looked at that site so far.

Yes, credits turn out to be awfully complex, partly due to the setup of my project (four artists in one panel), but I keep thinking about how to make things as complete as possible. Tilliban may be right in saying I shouldn't overdo it. I'm starting to figure out that there may be limits to the credits I can compile. Mostly uncredited artists is what bothers me. Right now, at least a few of the uncredited artists I've used are either clearly identified on a JVJ card or else just pitifully easy to recognize. I'm a little disorganized, I'm new at artist spotting, and also I have little knowledge of the artists, publishers, etc that are discussed here. I'll get better at all this.

So "plundering" the public domain brings up difficult questions even though there's no connection to law. There's no obligation to include any sort of credits, but for my project, which uses dozens of artists, I feel like there should be credits. In each panel, I try to preserve the integrity of the art even with considerable alterations being made, and I always wonder what the artist would think of their work being reused and altered. It's mostly forgotten names and forgotten books in a disposable media, but to me, it's like chopping out pieces of amazing canvases in a giant museum. I can draw, but not as well as these artists. So I try to credit book, page, year, and artist. And every last fragment used is individually linked in each page's credits to the DCM source page. I don't think every project that uses public domain material should list credits, but for my project it seems really appropriate, and partly the credit links are just a fun thing -- you can see an object named in the credits, and click the link to see the source art. Hopefully that's amusing for a few people, and one more way to direct attention to the DCM.

Offline watson387

• DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 12:33:54 PM »
lol

I just finished reading, and I'm liking the story so far. Definitely some oddball, off-the-wall stuff. Keep it up!

Offline tilliban

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • FIFTIES HORROR!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 09:56:12 AM »
I try to preserve the integrity of the art even with considerable alterations being made, and I always wonder what the artist would think of their work being reused and altered. It's mostly forgotten names and forgotten books in a disposable media, but to me, it's like chopping out pieces of amazing canvases in a giant museum. ....  Hopefully that's amusing for a few people, and one more way to direct attention to the DCM.

That's very honorable of you. I like your attitude.
So keep it up and keep it coming.

Offline sandmountainslim

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 09:36:43 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've launched a webcomic that is made from art found at the DCM. The comic is somewhat political, and discussion of politics is NOT something the DCM wants here in the forum, but the general use of the archive will be of interest to some people here.  And the database will interest a few people because you can search for comics by keyword. It's not a database covering the entire collection at the DCM – it's about 14,000 pages. I asked Yoc and he kindly encouraged me to post a note here. I'm very interested in adding artist credits where they are missing, and each DCM source is linked throughout the comic.

http://www.theamericanrabbit.com/the-american-rabbit-wakes-up

Just read it and so far so good!   This is a great idea and I plan to keep up weekly.

Offline Amberjack

• DCM Member
    • Comics on the Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 11:07:21 AM »
Wow. It's really wonderful to look at.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 10:23:13 AM »
Yes, zoink,
You've got an amazing project going there.  Masterfully done!

-Yoc

Offline Sportguy

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 08:56:35 PM »
Zoink, you have talent, I like your work.

Offline zoink

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 11:26:40 AM »
Thank you for the supportive comments, I appreciate them a lot. They arrive in my inbox and are very nice to see. I'm getting better at including artists' names in the credits (which link to even the smallest fragments of art used) but if you notice an error, I really like correcting errors.

- Eric

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 08:29:30 PM »
Hey gang, I've just heard from Zoink some bitter-sweet news.   :-[

"The ongoing comic The American Rabbit Wakes Up has unfortunately been shut down for a number of reasons (partly because it took over 40 hours a week to produce) so I wanted to give you an update about that."

Z has something else on the go to announce though so stay tuned.

-Yoc