developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Hi JVJ from Mark Carlson  (Read 2132 times)

Offline msc

• DCM Member
Hi JVJ from Mark Carlson
« on: November 04, 2011, 09:34:41 PM »
Jim,
I only discovered DCM a few months ago. When I came across a discussion on Holyoke I had to check it out. I was enjoying the read when I first realized JVJ was you and soon after read you referencing me! How surreal. I saw your kind remarks about my efforts in identifying the histories of small companies of the 1940s. Its taken me a while to figure out how to get registered here but I've finally managed it. I am alive and well and still interested in comics. I have been working on a heroes and villains index for the past decade or so. Traveled to Michigan State University a couple of times to utilize Bails' microfilms in that effort. The original aspect of the work is mostly in the listing of supporting characters and providing issue information on villain appearances for golden-age and fifties heroes. I am cross-indexing and especially interested in identifying ethnic minority characters. As I'm teaching psychology at a graduate level these days hope to translate some of this stuff into a journal article or two. Enough about me. I very much enjoyed your Kinstler book! It has been great fun reading your comments and hope to get into more of the community here. Which discussion lines are you active in these days?
Mark Carlson

Digital Comic Museum

Hi JVJ from Mark Carlson
« on: November 04, 2011, 09:34:41 PM »

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
Re: Hi JVJ from Mark Carlson
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 02:17:05 PM »
HI, Mark!
It's great to hear from you. Sorry for the delayed response. I'm finishing up a 7 week stay in Paris and last week I came down with a bad cold/flu/laryngitis and this is the first day I've had enough energy to log in and look around. It was a delight to see your post and to know that you're still involved with comics - though I relate much more to your earlier quests into the oblique and unfathomable histories/interweaves of those obscure publishers of the mid-'40s than I do to the oddball characters they published.

My favorite ethnic minority character is one that YOU introduced me to so many years ago - The Green Turtle by Chu Hing. Can't thank you enough. (If you have happened to stumble upon some photos on DCM or GAC of my collection,
http://www.bpib.com/temp/attic-photo-1.jpg
you'll be proud to know that among those several hundred boxes are TWO labeled "Carlson's Comics").

Thanks for the kudos on the ERK book. It was great fun and I still keep in touch with him.

As for things I'm "following" - I'm not sure that I'm involved at that level. I'm always sort of "lurking" and when something strikes my fancy I might pop up. I just spent some days last week with Tilliban reviewing some Ace Horror books. When I get home (Nov. 9), I intend to review the dozen or so Ace books that I have with notes from Lou Cameron paper-clipped to them. Haven't looked at them in years. Also want to get together again with Henry Andrews regarding some of the Nicholson and Cook-Mahon titles that we've been talking about while he goes through my Timely collection gathering publisher data. And Hames and I are still hard at work on this, that, and the other thing - helping Doc V. review credits for the Marvel Masterwork series, studying early Novelty issues, looking at Dells with an eye for collaborations, etc.

I'm retired, publish a magazine ( ImageS ) when I get the time, energy and money, spend about three months a year here in Paris, and for the last year have been bogged down helping (coaching/pushing/guiding) my older brother cope with the Trusteeship of my parents' estate. It might be winding up by the time I get back, but my brother has already dragged it out for over a year and there's no telling. Give me a call sometime in the middle of the month if you can and we can pursue this more leisurely. 650-493-1191

Peace, Jim (|:{>
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 02:59:39 PM by JVJ »

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline msc

• DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 04:28:36 PM »
Jim,
Actually, that was very timely from my perspective. I still only check my home e-mail twice a week or so. I seemingly go slowly into the electronic night. Wow, three months a year in Paris. I'll be interested in hearing more about that. Do you find you go through a bit of withdrawal from your collection. As yet one of mutliple signs of getting older, or my comics getting older--smile, I find I often have a bit of an allergic reaction to delving into boxes of forties comics.
Yes, Green Turtle is wonderful. You kind of hope he's Asian but sometimes you guess he's American. In my mind's eye, no internal evidence--mind you, I imagine he's the product of a white missionary and his Chinese wife.
I will give you a call in a couple weeks. I do get a kick of thinking of you having a box of "Carlson comics."
MArk

Drusilla lives!

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 09:28:42 PM »
... my collection...
http://www.bpib.com/temp/attic-photo-1.jpg
... several hundred boxes...

That's incredible Jim.

Have you given any thought as to what will ultimately become of it?...  I mean, have you considered eventually donating them to a university or research library?

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 05:00:54 PM »
Hi, Mark!
I'm back in the U.S.A. and fairly caught up with life. I'd love to have a phone call from you. 650-493-1191.

and DL, yes, I'm trying to find a way to keep the collection together after I can no longer benefit from it (hopefully, MANY years in the future). Here's another close-up...
http://www.bpib.com/test/GAC/attic-fawcett-1a.jpg
There are probably about 50-70 comics per box.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 01:51:44 PM »
Hi, Mark,
Still interested in hearing from you. Happy Holidays.