developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: A SHORT HISTORY OF DCM  (Read 3140 times)

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
A SHORT HISTORY OF DCM
« on: September 02, 2011, 06:30:03 AM »
What exactly are the beginnings of the DCM and GAC/CB+?

Why were they started? Who started them? When did they/you get together? When was it first put online? What was the first book in the collection?

I was just thinking about this the other day...

B.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 08:21:12 AM by Yoc »

Digital Comic Museum

A SHORT HISTORY OF DCM
« on: September 02, 2011, 06:30:03 AM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: HISTORY OF DCM
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 10:29:10 AM »
Hi B,
Hmm, I'm not sure on the very first day origins.  I only came along about a week after the forum started and couldn't even figure out how to get to the comics my first visit.  Call me noobie.
moonled and boox909 were both members by day two.

GAC/CB+ started by Serj, Zog and Aussie, registered the site July 24, 2006 and the forum started November 02 or 03, 2006.

DCM started, forum and site - March 28, 2010.  (yea us!  ;) )

The first comic might have been one of three books:
Jesse James 009 (1953)       Prison Riot 001 (1952)       Strange Worlds 003 (1950)

I found that using the Latest Book link and tweaking the URL to this -
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/stats.php?ACT=latest&start=10900&limit=100
That's the equivalent of hitting NEXT 1,900 times.
(knowing we have 10975 scans it was easy to know where to start from)

That's a good start for now.
-Yoc

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
Re: HISTORY OF DCM
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 04:07:56 PM »
It all started with pirates, me hearty.  Arrr.

Ahem.

But it all started with a pirate site, Z-Cult FM, which had a much stronger community (forum-based) than torrent selection, as I recall.  Someone (it may have been citaltras, who just today posted a link to some public domain comic torrents, so hey!) started collecting and curating torrents of public domain books, which became quite popular.

That's about when I found the site, by the way.

The owner, Serj--who gained some notoriety by speaking out after getting the Marvel cease and desist order and working with a few (DC, I think) creators to make their works available through torrents--and a few others thought it'd be fun to have direct downloads, for the days when the torrents weren't sufficiently seeded.  I think Golden Age Comics was running that week, with the contents of those torrent packs as the first downloads.

When Z-Cult FM started getting increasing attention from copyright holders, the GAC forums opened and the parts of the community interested in the Golden Age and public domain side migrated over.

Later, the community started expanding and GAC's growing pains (I still get the shakes, sometimes, from the downtime...) sort of birthed DCM as we realized that there were enough people for a little friendly competition to make sense, letting us all try out different approaches.  Yeah, there may have been a few loud arguments along the way, too, but that's boring.  Anyway, thanks to Captain DJ and Zog on the technical side, DCM showed up pretty much overnight, too.

Zog and Aussie might have more specific recollections of the earliest GAC days, and I assume there are at least a handful of Z-Culters (Z-Cultists?) who were there longer than I was who can fill in other blanks...

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: A SHORT HISTORY OF DCM
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 07:12:50 PM »
Old news but just an update to mention GAC has changed owners.  Mark W is the new head man.
It's now called COMICBOOKPLUS.COM.
Mark is doing a stellar job running the site!  :D