- +

Author Topic: Any one else trade comics when you were young?  (Read 4241 times)

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Any one else trade comics when you were young?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 02:01:36 AM »
"What's "a meccy"?" - Roygbiv666

Simply our local, wee boy slang at that time for an American comic.  They were very rare and, pre-1959, we hardly ever saw one.  When they started to be distributed, lots of kids found them amazing - glossy covers, colour throughout and those Wayne Boring Superman stories - irresistable.
Stephen Montgomery

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 02:01:36 AM »

Offline bowers

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 05:10:53 PM »
That's funny Paw, because I used to prize the Brit and Canadian black and whites.(Still do!)  I'd trade my pal, who had a brother overseas in the military, just about anything for some of the picture libraries and other comics he'd send home. In my circle of friends,trading comics and playing Monopoly or Clue all night was about as the best thing in the world. I was introduced to Classics Illustrated through swapping- they cost 15 cents while other comics were only a dime, so I never considered buying them! Pocket money was scarce, and I also was a soda and beer bottle hunter. God, how we loved the neighborhhood drunk! Cheers, Bowers

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 12:53:58 AM »
There's some great stories showing up here.
Thanks for sharing them gang!
:)

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 02:06:41 PM »
 Jim, trading comics with the barber was a stroke of genius. I can remember when barber shops almost always had comics books for waiting customers to read (as well as men's sweat and sporting magazines for the adults. Come to think of it, the first copy of Esquire I ever read was in a barbershop).

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2011, 04:46:02 PM »
I remember back in the early 70's there was this neighbor. He was in his twenties. Well, he lived at home with his Mom. Did not have a job that I recall, but he would babysit a neighborhood friend now and then. Well, Wayne,(that's his name), would babysit my friend Todd. Sometimes I would be over there, he would make popcorn and we would watch old movies in the afternoon.(Like they used to after school).
Well, it came out that Wayne had started buying comics back in the 50's!!! He had just sold a run of Fantastic Four 1-13 to some collector. This is the early 70's remember.
We talked and I was able to get a hold of FF #14 from him. I also got the Sgt. Fury & His Howing Comandoes, #13, the introduction of Captain America, and perhaps my favorite of all Journey into Mystery, #112 Hulk battling Thor.
All of these in immaculate condition, now in bags on my shelf.
This guy had the Fly, Jaguar and Madhouse from Archie comics. Lots of Tarzan, Turok, Son of Stone, Magnus Robot Fighter, with all those wonderful painted covers. I remember getting and early Showcase, #55? The reintroduction of Dr. Fate and the Hourman to the silver age, fighting Solumon Grundy. Great Murphy Anderson art.
Over the years I would save up money and go and visit Wayne and his hoard of comics. I remember buying Uncle Scrooges and Disney Comics and Stories from him.
He would pencil in the price he wanted on the first page, upper right hand corner.
I remember going down into his basement. Piles and piles of comics everywhere. Archie, DC, Marvel, Dell, etc. He had a little bit of everything.
Everything was in superb condition. Just sitting in piles of at least a 100 - 200 comics, in perfect condition.
You know I have not thought about Wayne in a long time. I wonder what ever happened to his collection. He was to be at least 65.
Maybe I should save up some money and go and see him again....

sigh...
B.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 10:00:48 PM »
Great story B!
:D