- +

Author Topic: Looking for a Victor Fox photo or drawing...  (Read 14354 times)

Offline crashryan

• DCM Member
Re: Looking for a Victor Fox photo or drawing...
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2015, 09:25:27 PM »
After my previous note I read the extensive biography and saw Fox was arrested numerous times. Surely the police took a photo...is there some way to access archives of old police photos?

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2015, 09:25:27 PM »

Offline David Lawrence

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Glass House Graphics Writer Page
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2015, 10:55:17 PM »
With his many legal troubles I have a hard time believing his mug never made it into the papers.  I haven't come up with it but maybe it's there someplace.

There are photos of Fox's wive & daughter earlier in this thread.  If I recall there are pictures of his parents & sisters posted as well.

Offline mopee167

• DCM Member
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2015, 08:59:58 AM »
It was only after I posted the link that I noticed the Fox photo had already been dis-proven.
I guess Feldstein caricature from EC's Modern Love #8 that Yoc posted is the closest we've
come to knowing what Victor Fox looked like, at least until an actual photo turns up.

Offline David Lawrence

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2015, 03:14:28 PM »
That photo will hang around forever, until a real one comes along.

Drusilla lives!

« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2015, 08:43:26 PM »
Did anyone here try tracking down that 1940s Fox Time magazine interview (I think it was in 47 or 48), the one where he made that (in)famous "people are idiots" comment... might be a photo associated with it with Fox in it. 

Perhaps the next time one of you get out to the LOC you could just take a quick look?... Please, pretty please.  :)

Offline David Lawrence

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2015, 01:06:17 AM »
Was able to track down the text for the Time Magazine article.  Was published in the July 12, 1948 edition.  It's a minor piece and after reading it I think it highly unlikely a photo of Fox is there.  In fact, the article doesn't even specifically credit Fox as the speaker.

http://web.a.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail/detail?sid=5c9a37b0-f81c-4e30-ba5d-be991542a8c0%40sessionmgr4003&vid=0&hid=4209&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=f6h&AN=54779450

Code for the Comics
Critic John Mason Brown recently called comic books "the marijuana of the nursery." Psychiatrist Fredric Wertham ranked them among the chief "contributing causes of juvenile delinquency." Disgusted by the sex, violence and crime they were peddling, druggists in South Bend refused last week to sell comic books in their stores.
Last week, bending before this blast, 14 major comic-book publishers (combined monthly circ.: 14 million) agreed to a cleanup campaign of their own. They set up a voluntary association similar to the movies' Johnston office, adopted a code of ethics for comic books, and got ready to name a czar. Among the code's provisions: 1) no "sexy, wanton comics"; 2) no glorifying of crime; 3) no "scenes of sadistic torture"; 4) no "vulgar and obscene language"; 5) no glamorizing of divorce; 6) no religious or race ridicule.
Critics of the comics knew that strict enforcement of these conditions would put many of the 270 U.S. titles out of business. So did the publishers who refused to join in the cleanup. (Defending sexy and sadistic comic magazines put out by Fox Features Syndicate, one of its executives explained his publishing philosophy last week: "There are more morons than people, you know.")
By the use of a "clean comics" seal and other pressures, the clean-comics group hopes to force the holdouts to abide by the code. The association's president, Phil Keenan (of Hillman Periodicals, publisher of Crime Detective, Real Clue, Western Fighters), warned the public not to expect overnight miracles. Because of the early deadlines, said he, improvements "may not be evident for months."

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2015, 08:02:45 PM »
Thanks David.
I had heard it was an unnamed Fox executive in some book.  Nice to read the whole article.
:)

Offline David Lawrence

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2015, 11:23:27 AM »
I assume it was Fox or Bob Farrell.  I don't think there were a lot of "executives" at Fox.

Drusilla lives!

« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2015, 09:19:13 AM »
I have to confess that I too tracked down that Time article when I first heard of it... what is now several years ago.  This was back when Time let you browse through their online archive for free.  The online archive was text, and as you've listed it here, it is a rather brief blurb at that, now that I think about it.   But you never know, the actual magazine article might've had a photo.   Too bad it wasn't covered in LIFE.  :)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2015, 01:43:04 PM »
Fox would have had to have had a passport or military service photos.  Both likely protected for privacy reasons.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2018, 10:06:46 AM »
It's been years since this topic was active!

I just today randomly stumbled across this quite amazing blog which did a fantastic job of following the paper trail Victor Fox left during his life.  It's PACKED with interesting info of Fox's shenanigans before staring the Fox comics line and then tells us what he did after he gave up on comics.  It's quite obvious he was certainly not worried about breaking laws when it came to making a buck.

Alex Jay's Tenth Letter of the Alphabet:
http://alphabettenthletter.blogspot.com/2018/04/comics-victor-s-fox-businessman-and.html

I just wish Alex had shared a photo of the notorious Mr Fox in this!

And beside this amazing entry Alex's blog has an incredible collection of entries on the lesser lights behind comics focusing on letters and production designers as well as trademarks and other fun stuff if you are into things like that.  I highly recommend you check it out.

NOTE - Alex sites this wonderful entry on the Pulp Arts site as a source.  It might be easier to follow Fox's actions on it than Alex's blog but this one doesn't go into as much detail once Fox stops publishing comics.  Both are very worthy of a read if Fox is of interest to you.
https://www.pulpartists.com/Fox-P.html

-Yoc