- +

Author Topic: Happy FIRST B-Day gang! Post #2 - Our Anniversary Presents!  (Read 8112 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Happy FIRST B-Day gang! Post #2 - Our Anniversary Presents!
« on: March 28, 2011, 06:32:51 PM »
And what would an anniversary be without PRESENTS?!?   :D

Do we have presents then?  YOU BET!

Today - we debut a New Section for DCM.  Something that's been needed for a while.
Over time members have grown fond of specific characters or artists and decided to gather them into 'archives' or collections.  But we have had them spread all over the site in whichever publisher they best fit.  This makes them hard to find unless you know they already existed.  And even I was surprised at how many have been created over the years when we put this new section together.

Debuting today is The DCM Archives and Collections section (Click to go there now)!! 
FIFTEEN collections and counting are now on the site!

https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/images/forum message pictures/DellScribbly400.jpg
(Clickable thumbnails!)
And to mark the occasion we are also including a New updated version of The_Complete_Dell_Scribbly_Collection version 2 (CLICK HERE)  This includes new cover and credit pages (by me) as well as BIG upgrades on several of the pages from OtherEric and Teto7totoro.  The DC Scribbly stories are not in the PD but we can still enjoy the early years of this really amazing series I highly recommend you try!

It's our hope that by placing links to ALL our collections members will check here and perhaps learn of a new character or artist they might not have tried before.

Also new today - a DCM Generic Avatar!
Starting today - if you'd like to have one - you can use one of the following avatars depending on your membership level.
All users may use the DCM Member one.  VIP Scanners/Members may contact us and have the VIP version added to your profile.

https://digitalcomicmuseum.com//forum/avatars/DCM_generic_avatars/Member-DCM SQUARE-125.jpg

Anyone that wants to use one of these DCM avatars can read all about it in the FAQ HERE.  See question 10.

And finally to celebrate this happy occasion several VIP Scanners have uploaded the following books for you all!

Rangerhouse has made a scan of Yankee Comics #02 (Chesler) now up HERE!

Len (freddyfly) has gotten us his scan of Mystery Comics #01 (Nedor) now up HERE!

Geo has uploaded TWO of his scans today - Space_Western_#40 (Charlton) click HERE!

and JVJ's Frogman_#08 (Hillman) is HERE!

And from BuilderBoy's scans of JVJ's Rangers #55 (Fiction House) can be found here!

dsdaboss sends us Lightning Comics v2 04 is here!

OtherEric & Loftypilot debut JVJ's Speed Comics #4 (Harvey) you can click HERE!

Thank-you so much for the special scans guys!  We've marked the file names on the site as (Anniversary gift) to let them stand out.

Now how is THAT for having a BIG DAY... even if it is a tad late?!
Let's all have an even better YEAR TWO!

Take care all,
-The DCM Staff

Digital Comic Museum

Happy FIRST B-Day gang! Post #2 - Our Anniversary Presents!
« on: March 28, 2011, 06:32:51 PM »

Offline doccomix

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Happy B-Day gang! Post #2 - Our Anniversary Presents!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 11:07:56 PM »
What a great surprise! Happy Anniversary, guys... and may you live long and prosper!
Doccomix

Offline krankyboy

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 11:31:05 PM »
Happy Anniversary to DCM!

Honestly, I don't think I'd ever get the chance to read most of this great golden age material if it weren't for you guys. So thanks again, and I really appreciate the fantastic birthday surprises that the scanners showered on us (especially Yankee Comics #2)!

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 11:34:57 PM »
Thanks for everything, especially that damn Yankee! ;-)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 11:35:32 PM »
Hehe, we were worried you'd pop a vessel waiting today KB.  ;)

Geo and I put in a looong day and Eric came along to put some finishing touches in.
Couldn't have done it without you, Thanks guys!

AND Eric is still adding some more stuff you'll all love!
The Peter Wheat as usual - amazing work.  Walt Kelly Rules!
:)

Offline krankyboy

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 12:14:15 AM »
Admittedly, I was pretty excited -- and you guys did not disappoint in the slightest. I'm having a blast reading and re-reading these issues -- never would have thought when I got up this morning that I'd be reading a new Black Terror issue, Yankee Comics #2, and a couple of Targets before the end of the day.

But what's crazy is how greedy this site makes you. Now I'm already thinking, "Wow, I hope that someone manages to track down the rest of the Harry Chesler Dynamic Comics issues so we can get a complete run." (and that's going to be a pretty tall order) It's like a kid opening his gifts for Christmas and wondering what he's going to get for his birthday by mid-afternoon.  ^-^

Anyway, you guys did a terrific job. And I love this place.  :)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:18:06 AM »
Thanks KB. *blush*

I can't say if Chesler will happen but the run of Targets seems very possible.
And we are getting close to complete on a lot of the FH titles!

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 12:23:25 AM »
Target v1 is going to be an uphill climb at best.  As for the rest, we've got a LOT on the way and I'll hopefully be getting some more even beyond the JVJ issues soon.

Offline krankyboy

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 01:00:47 AM »
Thanks KB. *blush*

I can't say if Chesler will happen but the run of Targets seems very possible.
And we are getting close to complete on a lot of the FH titles!

Yeah, I just don't know if getting a full run on Chesler's Dynamic is terribly realistic. Thanks to the scanners, we've got complete or nearly complete copies of the later issues, but it's been almost non-existent where paper copies of issues 2-12 are concerned. I can only imagine how rare they must be. Admittedly, my tastes favor Golden Age superheroes and can get a little eclectic. So having all the stories with Dynamic Man, for instance, or Yankee Boy are important to me personally.

Still, as you point out, Target seems like it could be in the cards, along with a dozen other titles (Black Terror, The Eagle, Jumbo Comics, Fighting Yank, etc) on DCM. JVJ has a lot of Prize issues, so that seems possible, not to mention Blue Beetle, which is one of my all-time favorites.  :)

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 01:17:57 AM »
I think the problem on Target will be the v1 n7, with the Spacehawk Cover. We've got the first couple of issues, so nothing is impossible, that's for sure.  And I finally realized one reason I like it so much:  It's the closest thing to a Timely series we can post here in a lot of ways.  The early issues were by the Jaquet (sp?) shop, which also did the early Marvel Mysteries.  Then later issues feature quite a few artists who also did notable work at Timely.  Maybe JVJ could elaborate on the connections better than I could.

Offline krankyboy

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 01:38:28 AM »
I think the problem on Target will be the v1 n7, with the Spacehawk Cover. We've got the first couple of issues, so nothing is impossible, that's for sure.

It seems like a lot of this is almost like hunting for buried treasure (or finding small pieces of a larger puzzle). You never know if something will turn up and you'll find the missing pieces to finally "complete the puzzle," so to speak.

Hope springs eternal, of course.

I didn't realize that Timely shared a connection with the Target issues. The artwork always seemed pretty good, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. But I am.

Modified Note: I didn't realize that Dynamic skips from issue #3 to number 8, which means the missing issues after #2 and #3 start there. At least there's a better chance of all of them being hunted down, with fewer issue numbers to find. What did I just say about hope springing eternal?

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 01:57:27 AM »
And now I'm second-guessing myself, I'm 90% sure both Marvel Mystery and Target were produced by the Jaquet shop for their early issues.  I know early Targets have stories by Everett and Burgos, at least.  I hope somebody who knows more than me can clear things up.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 04:19:50 AM »
Coverless makes many things possible and possibly affordable. Most superhero Centaurs are over $20 bucks coverless but we have those that spring for them. Not sure what the Targets run but I think I paid $10 for my coverless Blue Bolt 8. Here is a Dynamic 11
http://cgi.ebay.com/DYNAMIC-COMICS-11-FA-GD-classic-mad-scientist-cover-/260753688071?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb6218607#ht_1460wt_1139

Make him an offer anyone?

jrvandore

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 06:16:46 AM »
Congratulations and thanks to everyone!

My interests are rather obscure (primarily identifying the sources of IW/Super kiddie comics) so I appreciate each and every effort, but especially those outside of the various superhero/adventure genres.

Mazel tov and shalom!

Offline bcholmes

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Under the Beret
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 07:05:24 AM »
Yay! And congrats!  If I weren't a brain in a jar, I'd clap my hands in delight!

I'm pretty new here, but it didn't take long to realize how invaluable this site is.  Thanks for all the anniversary surprises!
I make comics!
"In school, all the other kids laughed at me because I was just a brain in a jar."