developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Happy FIRST B-Day gang! Post #1  (Read 13627 times)

Online Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Happy FIRST B-Day gang! Post #1
« on: March 23, 2011, 04:33:24 PM »
Here's our new anniversary banner - it's only going to be here for a week or so...
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/images/DCM banner02-GIF-Bday.gif

Hi GANG!

It was a year ago today, March 28, that DCM opened the doors to the general public after about 20 days of development.
From the ashes of our association with GAC, fellow admins aussie500, Zog and myself along with new code master CaptDJ and JohnC as sage council - hammered out a plan for a new unnamed site starting March 6, 2010.

What did we want from a new site? 
To stay with the same public domain RW Download software and all it's annoying bugs or perhaps experiment with new software or even try making a torrents only site?  We all agreed we wanted to keep the forum as a focal point of the site and continue the great feeling of community we had on GAC while exchanging thoughts, history and fun times.  So the forum here was step one.  CaptDJ took a hard look at the RW Download software and was able to clear up some long standing bugs and over the past year add New all Amazing features such as - Most Popular, Latest and Highest Rated scan categories on the home page; auto cover thumbnails on scan listings, and the best of them all - Online PREVIEW of uploads so you can take a gander at a book before downloading the entire scan!
So we stuck with the same software - but did we want to start from scratch and host ALL the GA PD scans we could find or perhaps limit ourselves?  And would it be a paid subscription site or have voluntary donations and hope for the best?  Zog was adamant from the start that we host ALL the scans available and allowable by PD rules and to keep it free to everyone for as long as fiscally feasible.

Not that long after we started we wanted to add some new staff to help keep the site running smoothly.  For that we turned to two faces some might recognize from the JVJ list below - Geo, one of the fastest scanners of the JVJ Project, had to take a break from scanning and was convinced to join the staff as a Moderator.  He's been a rock for the site creating new title folders, adding new scans and helping to answer users questions as they crop up.  OtherEric also joined us a a mod much as he did on GAC.

We also agreed continuing to support and nurture the JVJ Scanning Project was vital to the site.  And as you can see doing a simple search for 'JVJ' - we've got a huge number of books (710+) to thank Jim for allowing us to scan and share them here and on GAC.  And of course the JVJ Scanners themselves deserve a massive thank-you for their time and expertise as well as funds to create the scans we all enjoy so much.
JVJ Scanners Roll Call - past and present
Snard   
Blastaar   
Ontology   
OtherEric   
narfstar 
BuilderBoy
Twobyfour/Darwination
JonTheScanner
Geo (R.I.P.)

Towards the end of 2010 GAC suffered a horrible incident where about half of their scans were maliciously deleted by a rogue programmer.  In a lovely gesture the admin of DCM jumped in and offered to replace missing scans and even repair damaged code.
GAC has regained most of their lost books and continues to work towards a full recovery.  To their valiant staff we wish only the best!

But ultimately where would DCM be today if it weren't for the generosity of the scanners out there?  Those that believe in the idea of sharing public domain scans created by their own hard work and cash buying these books and often resulting in lessening any resale value if not perhaps destroying them all together during the scanning process?  It's thanks to the scanners out there that we are not only still here a year later but thriving with new scans almost daily!  BRAVO SCANNERS!  Thank-you ALL!

When we started we sent a note out inviting all the scanners that supported us in the past asking them to continue sharing their cool new scans on DCM.  We were very happy when almost all of them were soon sharing their works with us here and continue to make us the site we are.   ^-^

DCM SCANNERS ROLL CALL
Providing the scans we are built on

Len (freddyfly)
& bhcomics
Henry Peters
JonTheScanner
darkmark
rolster
Ontology
cimmerian32 (Joshua)
Snard
Flatterman
Marble River
Darwination (Beau)
Michael Barnes
srca1941 (Eric)
Bill Nolan
KingFaraday
fett
Pmack
Powder Solvang
rangerhouse
Archiver_USA
Chet Edson
boox909
teto7totoro (Jeff)
bcholmes
Phabox (R.I.P.)
narfstar
BuilderBoy
Twobyfour
dsdaboss
Dell4c
JWFlowers
Brain_Dead
DIGDiD
Fullbeard
oldwayne
mr_goldenage
sigasahab
UnknownScanner
Jodyanimator
Punkrat
thebigtc
Modamim
GEO (R.I.P.)
Blastaar
bchat
OtherEric
citaltras
AquagirlTX
Ami_GFX
Spectre99
shazam_tx
Astrp3
loftypilot
ernesto hombre
Rammercrammer
BumblebeeMan
SpaceRanger
DocQuantum
Mark Stratton
Alexi Silvana
Vigilante407
mouse5150
Mark Orr
ALV910
Heretic
Trollycarz
BettyD
Marionette
MaxZeus
moondood
Kid Terror
bminor
Max Zeus
jimpy
AMP
rez
eel
sam
was
Badge
RobC
BobK
BillyBatson
whamcomics
Velspice
FordPrefect
JodieBlond
Tomander
Alexander Tuesday
Comicscommando
Crimsoncrusader
Jormungand
AtlantisProject
MrWoodman
LarryTalbot
fox_centaur
Slinky
capnted
Bob Rice
samm
A-Team
Gambit
Walkabout
Woozy
Tristan
Chris Wallace
Wareagle
NeonVincent
MMMBACON
ArgentAge
Stopper75
Pahwraith
CommercialIan
Phil Latter
CorsetTightner
WildBlueZero
Bay575Goldenage
Placebo
AE660
Poztron
Shikazu
John Smallberries
Special mentions:
MrDoortree
Pappy
Karswell
mriley

dhfh
kusunoki
Perseus
Hoover
Prime User
& Tigger

And if you are enjoying DCM please consider making a cash donation towards our monthly server bill.
Any amount would be welcomed and donators are given VIP status on receipt.
Click here to read more.

See post #2 in this section for some special surprises!

Digital Comic Museum

Happy FIRST B-Day gang! Post #1
« on: March 23, 2011, 04:33:24 PM »

Offline aussie500

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
Re: TEMPORARY Anniversary Announcement Post
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 08:20:54 PM »
Happy Birthday! And thanks to all the staff and members who helped make DCM such a success.  :hug:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:29:22 PM by aussie500 »

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Happy B-Day gang! Post #1
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 12:01:32 AM »
Good to see my name up there with all the other mighty contributors.  Thanks.

Online Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 12:15:50 AM »
And rightly so DM.
:)

Offline darwination

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 12:44:34 AM »
Happy Birthday, DCM.  You guys have done a GREAT job with getting the site up and running as well as making many cool improvements and keeping it operating smoothly.  Kudos to the staff and all the hardworking scanners past and present.  Heres to many more birthdays to come!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 12:28:45 PM by Yoc »

Offline boox909

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Arch Comics Nerd
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 12:49:05 AM »
When the history of the Golden Age Public Domain communities are written for publication, there are going to be so many awesome people to laud and efforts to cheer.

Congrats gang, and many Happy Birthdays to come.  O0

B.
Golly, what were the Last 100 uploads?
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/stats2.php

Keltner's Golden Age Comic Book Index!
http://www.twomorrows.com/alterego/media/Golden%20Age%20Index.pdf

Offline mrbuckles

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 05:10:25 AM »
Congratulations on the anniversary!

The site is obviously a labor of love, but it is equally obvious that a lot of thought and time and work have gone into it. 

THANK YOU to the site creators, maintainers, and contributors. It is an amazing resource.

- MrBuckles

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 05:47:09 AM »
When the history of the Golden Age Public Domain communities are written for publication, there are going to be so many awesome people to laud and efforts to cheer.

That book's index is going to look like a metropolitan phone book, yeah.

Of course, by the time it's published, nobody is going to know what a "phone book" is, but that's a tiny issue.

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 07:20:06 AM »
Happy Birthday to... us, I guess. I do hope the site is around for decades and continues to grow its collection. I don't know what I woud do without it.

Offline prime user

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 07:52:19 AM »
Happy Anniversary and congratulations to all administrators, moderators, staff, uploaders, members, and other supporters for keping this great site alive and getting even better.

Best wishes to all for continued success.

Offline loftypilot

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Happy B-Day gang!
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 12:11:30 PM »
Happy Anniversary DCM !  Great job on the special banner guys.  One year already!  Wow! 

Thanks go to the owner for making this such a wonderful site and to the admins for their daily efforts.  And though I don't scan as much myself as I'd like to these days, I'm privileged to edit on occasion for some mighty fine people.  Thanks to them for providing the quality raw scans to work with!  These and so many others who add to our digital heritage have to be proud of every issue added.  We're all very grateful!

--Loftypilot Dan

Online Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 01:10:40 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words gang.  They're great to read.
And I hope I didn't leave anyone out of the list of the amazing scanners who keep this site breathing with new scans on an almost daily basis!

Offline builderboy

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 01:18:11 PM »
Happy B-Bay, DCM!  Great job with the banner and the celebration, DCM organizers.  A nice thank-you to contributers, and proper celebration of a great undertaking.

Offline bcholmes

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Under the Beret
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 03:55:20 PM »
And I hope I didn't leave anyone out of the list of the amazing scanners...

I thought it was because you just didn't like me.  *sniffle*

BCing you
I make comics!
"In school, all the other kids laughed at me because I was just a brain in a jar."

Online Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 08:35:16 PM »
!!!
I'm sorry BC, an oversight on my part in the flurry to get the post made before the clock struck 12 EST.  (And I barely made it!)
I've corrected the mistake and no slight was ever intended.  You've been a great addition to the scanners ranks!