- +

Author Topic: Professionals Obituaries  (Read 66734 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Obituaries
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2017, 09:24:03 AM »
I've just read the one of my earliest favourite artists, Bernie Wrightson, has passed from brain cancer. 
He's likely best know for his co-creation - Swamp Thing, and perhaps his work for Warren Magazines.  I believe the artwork for his edition of Frankenstein was his best work.  My condolences to his family.

http://berniewrightson.com/a-message-from-liz-wrightson/

-Yoc

https://www.newsfromme.com/2017/03/19/bernie-wrightson-r-p/

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2017, 09:24:03 AM »

Offline Poztron

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2017, 06:08:51 PM »
Two of the underground comix greats, Jay Lynch and Skip Williamson, died within 11 days of each other this month (Jay on March 5th and Skip on March 16th). They founded one of the early seminal UG comix anthology books, Bijou Funnies, in 1968. They were originally part of the relatively short-lived "Satire Fandom" of the early '60s and had gag cartoons published in Kurtzman's Help! magazine in the Public Gallery section. I knew both of them and it is disorienting and sad to have them gone.  :-[
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:25:52 AM by Yoc »

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2017, 09:54:47 PM »
Really not a good month for comics, is it?  I hadn't heard about Skip Williamson passing, thanks for the heads up.

Offline mopee167

• DCM Member
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 11:47:04 AM by Yoc »

Offline Crimson-Blue-Green

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Sensational Idols
« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2017, 07:11:09 PM »
I've been reading Jay Disbrow's jungle stories.  Obviously Tarzan inspired, but still good.  I'm sad to hear of his death.   
My Japanese idol music website: http://sensational-idols.weebly.com/

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2017, 04:41:47 PM »
Sad news for sure.  I liked his precode horror work.

-Yoc

Offline mopee167

• DCM Member
« Reply #141 on: May 21, 2017, 09:34:01 AM »
Rich Buckler, best known for his work as an artist for Marvel Comics and DC Comics, has died. He was 68.

Rich Buckler, best known for his work as an artist for Marvel Comics and DC Comics, has died. Buckler passed away Friday after a long battle with cancer.

Buckler worked on Marvel Comics' popular series Fantastic Four in the 1970s and created the character Deathlok in Astonishing Tales.

The prolific artist also contributed to such comics as All-Star Squadron, Batman, The Flash, Jungle Action, The Spectacular Spider-Man and more.

He is also the author of two books — How to Become a Comic Book Artist and How to Draw Superheroes. –Hollywood Reporter, May 20, 2017 @ 6:06 PM PT

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rich-buckler-dead-marvel-dc-comics-artist-was-68-1005867
https://www.cbr.com/rich-buckler-deathlok-all-star-squadron-has-died/
http://donmcgregor.com/W_RichBucklerObit.html
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 11:54:30 AM by Yoc »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #142 on: May 21, 2017, 11:05:03 AM »
Dang, another one I liked when I first got into comics.
Thanks for all your updates Moppe.

BTW, all the extra text effects you tried to do aren't working so I removed them.  I think it best to stick to the plain bold, italic and colour effects.

-Yoc

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #143 on: May 21, 2017, 10:55:50 PM »
Was sorry to hear about Rich Bucker.  There were some who felt he swiped too much in his work, and I think there's some fairness to the charge, but he also did a lot of really fun books.  I should dig out the original Deathlok run and re-read it.

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #144 on: May 22, 2017, 11:41:58 AM »
You will notice various Christian references in his work if you look for it.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #145 on: June 01, 2017, 03:10:24 PM »
It's late but Barry Pearl made a post of his interviews with Rich Buckler available on his blog at the following link:
http://forbushman.blogspot.ca/2017/05/rich-buckler-1949-2017-in-his-own-words.html

Drusilla lives!

« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2017, 06:08:03 PM »
Best Batman ever imo.

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2017, 10:34:22 PM »
No Batman was ever loved more than him.

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2017, 06:52:47 AM »
Got to agree with you, Darkmark. While I did not care for the show, Adam West was a class act.

I just wish so-called journalists would consult Google, or something. He was not the very first actor to portray Batman. He was the third live-action actor in the part. That is, if you ignore Batman's appearances on the Superman radio show.

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2017, 06:48:22 PM »
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1YFYQS_EV7k/WTwbTgAyOhI/AAAAAAAAFgc/AVZRp66itH8UD_q2JDdp_lbSwd7DPG2FQCK8B/s512/2017-06-10.jpg
Not sure which artist Kac was talking about so I'll cover some that have since the first of the year.

"Artists who died in 2018: 9

July (1)
[19 Jul 2018] Jon Schnepp (writer and director of The Death of "Superman Lives": What Happened?), 51, stroke
June (2)
[29 Jun 2018] Bong Dazo (Philippine comic artist), 56
[27 Jun 2018] Harlan Ellison (American writer), 84
[27 May 2018] WJulio Ribera (Spanish comics artist for Le Vagabond des Limbes),  91
[26 May 2018] Ted Dabney ( American electrical engineer, co-founder of Atari), 81, esophageal cancer
[14 May 2018] William Vance (Belgian comics artist for XIII, Bob Morane, Bruno Brazil),  82, Parkinson's disease

Jon Schnepp, writer and director of The Death of "Superman Lives": What Happened? has died on July 19, 2018, from a stroke.  Schnepp was 51.

Schnepp was a true comic book fan, and met and commissioned George Perez at Long Beach Comic Con on Feb 19, 2017.

Thanks to John and Bleeding Cool for letting me know that Philippine comic artist Bong Dazo (real name Angelo Ty Dazo) has died on June 29th. He was 56.

Bong Dazo was probably best remembered for his work on Deadpool, among other titles. Rest in peace.

R.I.P. Harlan Ellison

Science Fiction writer Harlan Ellison, probably most famous for the Star Trek episode "The City on the Edge of Forever" among other works, has died at 84.

Although he's known for his television and film work ("A Boy And His Dog" was made into a movie), Ellison's work was adapted to comic book form via Dark Horse Comics' Harlan Ellison's Dream Corridor (five issues that ran from March 1995 to August 1995).

R.I.P. Julio Ribera
posted 05/28/2018

Spanish artist, based out of France, Julio Ribera, has died on 27 May 2018 at the age 91. He was known for the Sci-Fi comic book series The Vagabond of Limbo (French title: Le Vagabond des Limbes) with writer Christian Godard.

Additional details at bdencre.com

Ted Dabney, co-founder of Atari, has died at the age of 81
posted 05/28/2018

ATARI AGE #3 (Sep/Oct 1982)
The Atari Club
Ted Dabney, co-founder of Atari, has died at the age of 81.

Leonard H writes:

I just learned that my good friend, Ted Dabney, the co-founder of Atari, passed away at the age of 81. RIP dear friend. Your legacy will live on a long time!

R.I.P. William Vance (XIII)
posted 05/19/2018

I've just learned that Belgium artist William Vance has died on May 14, 2018, suffering from Parkinson's disease. He was 82. Vance was known for co-creating XIII (13), a sort of French/Belgium version of the Bourne Identity, in 1984. The XIII follows the story of an amnesiac protagonist who is trying to learn his true identity.

XIII was adapted to a first-person shooter by Ubi Soft Paris in 2003, and also adapted for television in 2008, and followed by two series... with each series having, what else?, 13 episodes.

Rest in peace, William Vance.

Le Génie des alpages #3
R.I.P. F'Murr
posted 04/10/2018

According to ligneclaire, French comics creator F'Murr (aka Richard Peyzaret) has died recently (the news of his death came to light today), he was 72.

F'Murr is most famous for the long-running series Le Génie des alpages (The Genius of the Mountain Pastures)... but also known for his parodies (see Tintin by F'Murr).

photo from lansposten.se
R.I.P. Gunnar Persson
posted 04/09/2018

Swedish comic creator Gunnar Persson has died on April 8, 2018.

He's known for being the son of Elov Persson, who created one of Sweden's oldest comic strip Kronblom. Gunnar took over drawing Kronblom when when his father fell to ill health. Keeping it all in the family, Gunnar's son, Jonas Persson, started co-drawing the strip in 2006.

Both Elov and Gunnar won an Adamson Award in the "Best Swedish comic-strip (or comic book) cartoonist" for their work on Kronblom.

R.I.P. Jack Cummins (Boom! Studios)
posted 02/15/2018

Former Boom! Studios and Archaia Press President Jack Cummins (full name: John J Cummins) has died on February 12, following complications from the flu. He was 51 (born July 6, 1966).

In 2017, Cummins co-founded the National Independent Soccer Association (NISA) with Peter Wilt, where you can read more details about Cummins' death at nisaofficial.com:

"John Cummins was Co-founder of NISA and served as its Executive VP and General Counsel until his passing in February, 2018. His vision, passion and determination were critical to NISA’s formation and early development."

R.I.P. Mort Walker (Beetle Bailey)
posted a 01/27/2018

Beetle Bailey 's creator Mort Walker has died on January 27, 2018, due to complications of pneumonia.  He was 94 years old.  Although he was famously known for the creation of lazy private Beetle Bailey, Walker was also known for creating Hi and Lois, a strip about  a suburban family.

According to seattlepi.com, Walker drew his daily Beetle Bailey comic strip for 68 years, longer than any other U.S. artist in the history of the medium.

We salute you, Mort Walker.

R.I.P. Jan Steeman
posted 01/27/2018 

Dutch comics artist Jan Steeman has died on 24 January 2018 at the age of 74 to kidney failure.  He was best known for his football (soccer) comic book Roel Dijkstra and bumbling teenage girl Noortje (published in in Tina).  Noortje ran for more than 41 years, making it the longest-running Dutch comic strip by one and the same artist."

RIP - Information from different sites.

Geo
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 11:28:48 AM by Yoc »
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time