- +

Author Topic: Hi! And Question about Metadata  (Read 1965 times)

Offline bcholmes

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Under the Beret
Hi! And Question about Metadata
« on: January 08, 2011, 09:52:56 PM »
Hi!  I just found this site a few days ago, and have been having fun looking up all these Nedor (and other) characters I've heard so much about.

Having only learned about the .cbz, et al, formats mere days ago, I'm now curious to know if there are any widely-adopted meta-data conventions in use.  I've seen people talking about putting meta data in .zip entry comments, but is anyone actually doing that?
I make comics!
"In school, all the other kids laughed at me because I was just a brain in a jar."

Digital Comic Museum

Hi! And Question about Metadata
« on: January 08, 2011, 09:52:56 PM »

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
Re: Hi! And Question about Metadata
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 07:53:42 AM »
That's the first I've heard of it.  Seems interesting...until I hit the thought about who gets to do the work and where the data is going to come from.  And then what happens when someone re-identifies an artist.  And the large number of RAR files.  But I'm "that guy," so don't necessarily go by me.

It's an interesting idea, of course.  And it's something that might be nice to see happen as we have more comics--especially those anthology titles.

This might be more interesting as the GCD updates their system.  I know an API was on the agenda at some point, meaning that a future comic-reading program could potentially say, "hey, there's more recent information about this comic available," then download, convert, and update your local metadata in the book.  Maybe.

Though that could play havoc with MD5 hashes, for example, if I want to know if I'm missing any books between your library and mine.  Unless the metadata also stores a hash of the images inside.

Ahem.  Sorry, I get like that sometimes around software ideas.  Occupational hazard.

To answer your original question, I don't think anybody here has mentioned it.  I know that some books will have a text file inserted (that CBReader pops up in a window on opening the file) with a cleaned-up scrape of the GCD page.  All the JVJ books start (or end) with a scan of Jim's index cards with most of the information--that's become a de facto standard just based on the number of his books now in circulation.  But I don't think anything has become more sophisticated than that, so far.

Offline bcholmes

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Under the Beret
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 08:44:52 AM »
I know that some books will have a text file inserted (that CBReader pops up in a window on opening the file) with a cleaned-up scrape of the GCD page.  All the JVJ books start (or end) with a scan of Jim's index cards with most of the information--that's become a de facto standard just based on the number of his books now in circulation.

Can you point me to an example of each of these? 

Thanks,
BC
I make comics!
"In school, all the other kids laughed at me because I was just a brain in a jar."

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:32:40 AM »
Oh.  Right.  Duh.  You're new.  Should've thought of that.

The text files, offhand, I can't.  But here's one of Jim's index cards, with Speed Comics #9:

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/preview/index.php?did=12611&page=69

I seem to recall Jim explaining how to read the things (beyond the obvious, I mean), but I can't find that post at the moment.